• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed 5 ton

MIKES 5 TON

Bobbed 5 ton "need help"

Bought it as a 1979 6x6 5 ton dump have only had it couple of months here is some picks from start to the point it is at now, still need to get exhaust made up, mount tire just got sunday, order soft top, put in new fluid in trans, and t case, and bed is rusty at sides so i am going to cut them off to make a flat bed and shorten back of it to the frame then re paint the whole truck hope to make it to feb's event let me no what you think

Attachments

Last edited:

MIKES 5 TON

ya it was, had to change the hood, doors, windsheild, mirrors, other then it having damage the truck was in good shape not one leak on it and has 11,700 miles its finally starting to form into something, had it out twice the way it is now , but one tire is a recap inthe rear and the other is riped to shreads

MIKES 5 TON

cutting it all the way to the back of the frame i think its like 2 feet, i am cutting the sides off to the going to build a head ache rack that comes down to the sides with a rail

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! Hope you get it done in time for the February get together. If you need an extra set of hands this weekend to help get her done let me know as I'm not too far south of you.

Ruppster

MIKES 5 TON

should have enough time i think the only thing i may not get done will be buildings the head ache rack and sides but that can wait thank you for the offer ill keep it in mind

MIKES 5 TON

well i am getting somewere sorta of,truck is half painted , new top came in , exhaust came in just need to put it on 4" straight pipe with rain cap, have one tire mounted,have new belts to put on but truck is missing tension bolt to left of motor so i dont want to take it apart till i find one and the size?, and bed still needs cut down, only 2 weekends left to finish if i wana go to the ss ralley with it.

here is some pics, also anyone have an easy way to break bolts on rims , allready broke one breaker bar and bought new bigger gun still having trouble, also had trouble removing run flats ,

Attachments

Curtis25

i have also tore up several breaker bars.Finally got tired of it so i got an @ 8' piece of thick wall tubing that fit over a deep well socket bent it in a 90* about a foot down and welded in the socket it seems to work pretty well so far the radius of the bent took @ 1' so still have 6' worth of leverage i will see if i can get pics posted this weekend the bar is at my brother-inlaws

MIKES 5 TON

thats no good shold be at my house , i bought a bigger gun but it is still only a half drive but 900lb tq in reverse and i still can break them , also i have seen a couple of post about the triangle o ring but i have round and that what i put back in seem to work ok anyone think later that will be a problem thanks

MIKES 5 TON

well i about got the truck done took it for a ride and the front is hoping like crazy is this just how they ride , i never drove it on the road got it riped it down took it mudding riped it down again. does all right a 50 or so but arround 30 really rough doesnt bother me just wana make sure its normal . still need to cut down bed or replace lots of new part now have a hose dripping tho ...............

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks