• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

N Arizona SEE Unimog

N Arizona

Well I have been away from the forums for awhile now due to me having a little girl but now I have a new MV project. Just Delivered this morning a Unimog SEE. A quick look through and things don't look too bad. All the Fluids are fresh and several new body parts have been added. Now for the trouble spots. It looks like there was trouble with the starter. All the wires were labeled and the starter replaced but this failed to get it to work. The ignition was taken apart and thats looks to be were they left it and turned it in to the DRMO. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment. More to follow.

Attachments

ccequipment

Check the relays on the firewall, out of the 13 I had this summer, about 10 of them had bad relays from water getting in them. Sometimes you can wiggle them and get them to work.

N Arizona

Clinton,

I took out all the relays on the firewall and cleaned them but did not seem to make a difference. I ordered some new relays and I will try replacing them.

The only thing I was able to get done was to take the batteries out and charge them all night and I was also able to find all the parts to put the battery hold down back together.

Does any know where I can find the wiring diagrams for these unimogs? I have checked the TM -24 & -34 but then again I may be missing something. Only one photo today.

Attachments

rhinob

Last Friday I was driving from Baltimore to Frederick, MD on the main road west (I-70) and saw a trailer with two machines like this with backhoes on them. I couldn't safely muster a photo unfortunately. Must have been coming out of the port of Baltimore. Any chance this is one of them (I don't remember buckets though)? Very unusual to see these here. I've brought over 7 of the 404.015's (hard-top 404's from the fire services) all but one in containers.

Attachments

Whitey

Last Friday I was driving from Baltimore to Frederick, MD on the main road west (I-70) and saw a trailer with two machines like this with backhoes on them. I couldn't safely muster a photo unfortunately. Must have been coming out of the port of Baltimore. Any chance this is one of them (I don't remember buckets though)? Very unusual to see these here. I've brought over 7 of the 404.015's (hard-top 404's from the fire services) all but one in containers.
Never heard of a civilian SEE type tractor, at least in the states. I'll have to consult some Unimog books my Pops got a while ago. They're in German, so I just read the pictures.

BTW, rhinob, been busy with a new job in Baltimore since the summer. Will get in touch once things slow down a little. Take care.

Last edited:

N Arizona

Good news! The SEE is up and running. For the first time it was the easiest to replace and cheapest part that was the problem. It was the #3 fuse for the starter switch about 70 cents at the local NAPA. Once it was replaced (it is the red fuse in the photo) the SEE fired right up. Did not have much time to drive just enough to test it out.
Den,
The SEE came out of VA but I had it shipped through a third party trucking company who was taking a HMMH (the forklift model of the SEE) to Red River Army Depot so maybe it was.

Here are some photos.

Attachments

N Arizona

Did only a little work today due to the cold weather. I fixed the mess of wires that was the starter switch and got the starter cover back on. The cover is going to need some work to get it to fit right again but that will be a project for another day.

Attachments

N Arizona

So I had a few min to take the SEE out and test the backhoe attachement. Everything worked just fine though it looks like I need to put new seals on the cylinders on the boom. The hoses also need to be replaced as most of them have some dry rot issues and a few that are leaking.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

November 24th, 2012.

There was a civillian version of the SEE, Case made them with attachments and more gears in the transmission then any sane man would want... You probably wish the US had used their heads when ordering and used resettable breakers like the Swiss S404.114...trip a breaker..wait a moment and reset it, you're good to go. You might want to carry spares of all of them in case you're off road somewhere and one blows.... Still, they are very neat little trucks, often with few miles or hours on them.:D

N Arizona

Well after a brief 3 years I got the Unimog back in the shop. I have come to the decision that it is going to be time to sell it. It is a bummer because it is super cool and only has 450 miles and 50 hours on it but I could use the money for other things and I don't really use it enough. Took the seats out for cleaning and some repair. Built some optima battery adapters out of plywood. Fix some missing snap rings on one of the stabilizers. When ever I go to sell equipment I always end up fixing the stuff I have lived with for years. Well got some hose that are dry rotted and leaking to fix along with some other odds and ends. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

N Arizona

Well got a few things done on the Unimog today. I started changing out the last of the original hoses that had dry rotted. Thankfully most every hose on this machine has all ready been replaced by the army. There are only 8 left that need to be replaced. I got six of them off a new ones built. The last two are in a super hard to get to spot so I had to order a set of very large flare nut crowsfoot wrenches to be able to get them lose. Also made a bracket to hold the hose in place that was missing.

Attachments

N Arizona

Hoses replaced. Cross over lines for the boom cylinders had some sort of sealant used on them that had to be taken out with a dental pick but other then that they went right in. Now just waiting on the right tools to do the other two.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Always liking anything "Unimogish:

- Subscribed

What's the story on the aircraft in Photo #4, looks like a German Storch. Got a story?

Storch.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks