• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

American armor on the streets of Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I don't want this to degenerate into a political brew ha ha but I am a writer and this is how I express myself when I see something fundamentally wrong with what is happening to our country.

I have been following the events in Egypt, not because I give a rats behind about the country, but because it is plastered on every network.

So far I have seen M113's, M60 and M1 tanks and other assorted US vehicles on the steets. (MV tie in). At this time they don't seem to be firing on the protestors.....mostly watching and trying to keep looting from spreading.

We have equipped an unstable Muslim country with some of the most advanced weapons in the world and they could end up in the hands of radical fundalmentalists to be used against us or other allies in the area (assuming we have any).

I did some research and it seems that aid to Egypt is one of the bigger ratholes that we throw money down to the tune of billions of dollars over a long period of time (that means Dem and Rep administrations).

Our leadership, and I use that term in the broadest sense, for the last 50 years seems to have a track record of backing the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

Now you see where the huge deficit came from and will continue to come from if we the people do not demand a stop to it.

Check out: Most US aid to Egypt goes to military - Telegraph

markmontana

Well said, you should try writing for a living...

I think we have treated Egypt like a crazy step-son that we know is about to 'blow' at any time, but if we give him money and toys (MV tie in) he keeps to himself and doesn't cause much trouble.

But when they snap-- watch out... and I agree it's gone on way too long.

Jimma

Did you see the angy mob picking up smoke grenades and tear gas canisters that said "Made in America" on them? They were not happy about that. I cant hardly buy something made in America in America but they can.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked my way up from Slick 60s (M60A1) to M60A3s to M1s (all after I got tired of walking as an 11B). I have no idea how much better the M1A2s are from the M1A1 but hopefully they are substantially better.

After firing a M60A3 I had no problem with us giving away M60A1s to 3rd World Countries. The same when I graduated from the A3 to the M1. The speed and accuracy were worlds apart. Still I can't imagine why we're selling (giving) this advanced weaponry to places like Egypt and especially Iraq. If we have to treat them as hostiles again I would prefer they were in Slick 60s or T62s not something with Thermal Imaging.

Nonotagain

The problem with Egypt is that the United States on one hand supposedly wants a democratically elected government in the entire world, third world goat herders don’t have an idea with democracy is.
The US government has backed Mubarak since he has been friendly to both Israel as well as the US. The US has provided billions in aide with hopes of keeping peace in the Middle East as well as keeping the Soviets out. We are in the same position we were in when Iran fell during the Peanut Man Jimmy Carter’s administration.
Next up is Jordan. If there is also a revolt there, the Middle East will go up like a tinder box since the Islamic extremists will feel emboldened.
The price of oil has already risen to $100 per barrel. Ready for the next Middle East oil embargo? Its’ coming if Mubarak and Jordan falls.
The last time I was in the ME, the military equipment being supplied wasn't the lastest version. The M1 was the A version without reactive armor and couldn't "run and gun".

Well we Should all muster up get the ranks and all our mvs An head for the hills and dissappear i personally am sick and tired of theway the country is going but what can u do just sit back fear the worst hope for the best :-D

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several countries over there (Kuwait, Saudi, and some others) that the US sells military items to. I was told by a guy in the know who worked at General Dynamics a while back that there are some "features" on their tanks that ours have, but theirs dont to ensure we have the edge over them with regards to onboard technology if things go south... They are called Export Versions. We do it all the time with tanks to radios to GPS systems. The Exports have some features not availible in them that the US versions do.

Plus who knows if they have basic M1's from the early 1980's, or one of the several (and vastly improved) versions. M1A1, M1A2, M1A2 SEP, or even later versions. At any rate, there are proceedures inplace as I said above. I wouldnt loose sleep over it.

Put a base model M1 up against a M1A1, A2 A2 SEP or other, and the early model will loose. Same goes for Bradleys.

Last edited:

davidkroberts

egypt under mubarrack is a classic example of "the devil you know" while not very friendly to US intrest he isnt openly hostile either. Same with the Israelis. He isnt friendly but not hostile either. The problem from this comes from the government falling and being replaced with a weak government followed by a islamic theocracy similar to the Iranian revolution after the Shah. The revolution began as a democratic uprising and was hijacked by fundamentalist. I fear something similar in Egypt. I cant understand the trouble in Jordan. Ive been all over that country and its very pro-business and is prospering. I havent spent enough time in the poorer sections of Amman to learn enough to make a informed view but things are moving forward.

I dont want to comment on my political views and how i view anything. I dont think this is the right forum for that.

As to former US equipment being involved.... Oh well, we are the largest arms dealer in the world as a country. I dont blame the equipment.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one has said anything about the Suez Canal? Egypt controls it, and that is a huge reason why we invest so much into that country. Just think of the delays if the Navy had to go all the way around Africa if they closed the canal to the US military.

goldneagle

2 facts that were not really stated in detail here. 1 if we didn't arm Egypt then the Russians would like in pre 1973. 2. if it was not for US interference after Um Kipur war Israel would have been in charge of the Suez Canal. US likes to play chess with the world and we have seen what happens when they do. They make a big political mess out of it! Look at Iraq, Iran, Samalia, and Lebanon.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a base model M1 up against a M1A1, A2 A2 SEP or other, and the early model will loose. Same goes for Bradleys.
The best thing we could put on the "export" models would be a remote "kill" switch. Maybe we do already but somehow it seems like we always want to play "nice" and not give ourselves too much of an advantage.

markmontana

No one has said anything about the Suez Canal? Egypt controls it, and that is a huge reason why we invest so much into that country. Just think of the delays if the Navy had to go all the way around Africa if they closed the canal to the US military.
That's a good point. But soon our own armor could be used to keep us off the canal. I heard predictions to that effect today, and I tend to agree. Not saying that our military would be stopped from transit, but commercial use could be greatly affected.

zout

Very well stated WM.
I wonder why (and this relates to running my MV as it needs Fuel) why fuel 9 years ago was .85 cents a gallon.

Many that have not been to Alaska - and may of those that sit back and do think any of this effects them.
I have been there - I have seen it and it is treason:

evidence that demands a verdict:
[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147[/media]#

history repeats itself.

panshark

The best thing we could put on the "export" models would be a remote "kill" switch. Maybe we do already but somehow it seems like we always want to play "nice" and not give ourselves too much of an advantage.
That would mean that we would have learned an important lesson from the F-14's in Iran.

On another note, I can't help thinking about greed and corruption in a revolutionary situation like this. What if you could pick up a bunch of second-hand surplus like tanks and APC's for cheap? Keep them in Africa? Imagine starting out the Africa steel soldiers rally by walking into a motor pool and picking out what you want to drive.

Probably will never happen, but would make for a killer party.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I understand the necessity of keeping the Suez open....what I have a problem with is giving billions of dollars out in aid for the privelege...I bet we still have to pay the fee for a US military ship to go through the canal.

Burgerboy13

You should see how much aid we give to Pakistan, its pretty unsettling. We even caught a Pakistani C-130 in North Korea more than likely giving the North Koreans nuclear technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks