• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC 62/62 axles

bigzirb

WC 62/63 axles with pictures?

Alright, I am a new guy around here but was bitten by the MV bug in high school. I figured this was the best place to ask as I am not as familiar with older (WW2) hardware.

I met a local scrapper last week and asked if he had any old military hardware. You never know until you ask, right? He showed me a set of 3 axles he said came off an old ambulance(?). I looked and it is the front axle with springs and steering hardware still attached (he cut the frame to pieces). It also has 2 rear axles tandem mounted to a section of frame with upside down leaf pack (I believe this is bogie(sp?) style?). The first rear (center) axle is a Passenger side offset differential, with a bearing attached to the tube for the second axles driveshaft to pass over it. The rear axle is a centered differential. He has the divorce mount transfer case with 2 rear outputs (half burried in the ground). The rims and tires are still attached and they are the older large 5 bolt pattern.

I did a lot of searching and my best guess is they are from a WW2 WC62/63, but there are no body panels or other drivetrain to look at, and the frame is gone except for a few feet the springs are attached to. I didn't have my camera or phone but I will try to get back out to get some pics as soon as possible.
Can anyone give a clue what these parts are? If they are worth trying to save? What they are worth? Don't know what he wants for them but I will try to find out, IF they are worth saving.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

lacoda56

Definately worth saving! I'd have to say that you're right about the WC 62/63 1 1/2 ton application. The only other vehicle I can think of that used a similar setup with the 5 bolt wheel was International and I don't believe they ever built an ambulance. Don't know about price.

bigzirb

Pictures

I went back out and got some pictures of the axles, still waiting to hear what he wants for them. Any ideas what they are worth (best and worst case)?

Attachments

WolfWalking

****, what a mess. Definetly 1 1/2 ton axles. As for value, don't give him more then local scrap value, their value is there if you find a buyer. I have scrapped out 2 62's whose frames were rotted, steel doesn't bear up to our northwest rain for 60 plus years. I have the parts, but don't need most of them. Running gear is out there, its the frames that are needed more I am afraid. PLus, don't commit unless you have the space, and can more almost one ton of steel parts, they are heavy, LOL>. At a minimum, get the dfferentials, they have a thicker pinion, and will retrofit into the earlier 3/4 tons, giving them a beefier drive system.

Wolf

srodocker

i would save them im sure someone somwhere needs those.

hey wolfwalking. welcome to the board. not sure if you have seen our mini rally post but the post link is in my signature. hope to see you there with the wc63!

WolfWalking

I wish I could, but the 63 is still non-op right now. I hope to have her running and licensed soon, and in MV time, soon is what? within the next 5 years :p LOL Otherwise would love the drive down, I do know were Graham is, been many times for the Scottish Games at the Park there.

WolfWalking

Unfortunately that is my only whole weekend off this month, and the MV tolerant half here wouldn't like me running off on her, LOL.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks