• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Help

Sarge29

I just purchased and installed a kit for the M151 water pump. Assembly was easy and it looked good when finished. After putting it on and filling with antifreeze I fired it up only to find the new kit (seal) is leaking. I let it run at idle for about an hour and kept an eye on it to keep it from running hot. Then I drove it about 3 or 4 miles to run it at a different engine speeds. The seal appears to be a graphite type. Is there some type of break in for the seal? What do I need to do next?
Thanks in advance,
Sarge29

Sarge29

Thanks Westech,
I thought that I could rebuild the pump as easily as anyone else. It couldn't be that hard.:oops: Well it wasn't hard to rebuild but it may be a problem to get the new seal surfaces to mate up. I will order one and maybe try to fix mine as a spare.

Westech

CPL
I have tried that a couple of time too and some have worked some not... when a water pump "goes out" 99% of the time the seal has worn a grove in the shaft and there she goes.. with out a speedie sleeve its just going to leak again.

Sarge29

The kit that I bought had a new shaft and bearing and new seal. I was careful with all parts and cleaned everything before assembly. I just don't understand the new seal leaking. Here is a picture of the kit that I used.

Attachments

Sarge29

I am going to pull it off this weekend and tear it down to see what happened. I will let you know if i find anything.

papakb

One of the things I've learned over the years is that just because that part is NOS it's still been in the box, on the shelf for 30, 40, 50 years? It started drying out the day it was made and unless the package was hermetically sealed it kept going until the day you installed it. Then it leaked.

I wonder about expiration dates on things like bearings but seals and o rings need to have their expiration dates (inspection dates) observed.

Kurt

Sarge29

OK, I found the culprit. The sealing surface on the impeller was damaged. aua The new seal was still good. I refaced the sealing surface on the impeller, reassembled and tested. Still leaked for about 1 minute. After that, No leak. It took a few seconds for the surfaces to mate up and seal off. I feel better about the rebuild now that I know what caused the leak.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks