• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost blinkers and brake lights... Help...

citizensoldier

I have a all new harness, blinkers switch,relay, and everything else. I had good brake lights and blinkers. I plugged in a M101 trailer. Everything worked fine and then nothing.. The little green light on the switch does not even come on. What did I cook? Where do I start checking? Its a brand new harness too.. Electrical is my worst thing.. No nothing about the stuff on vehicles.. Any help would be very appreciated.. :cry:

Mike_L

I presume you unplugged the trailer and still nothing worked? Do you have any other lights like parking/B.O./headllights/dash? If you do, then the breaker and main switch are likely still good. If all your other lights are good, I would focus on the signals circuits. Start with the wire coming from the main switch to the signal switch. Then, I would start looking at grounds. Often, it only takes one ground to foul up an entire wiring circuit.

If no lights at all, I would look at the breaker first or the power wire going into the breaker. Check the wire for 24V with your meter. Swap the switch or breaker out out if you can with a spare or loaner.

If that doesn't work, then we can figure out what does work and what doesn't work and go from there.

carmen

Don't know if you found out what was wrong with your light, but I can tell you what happen to me just 2 months ago. I to had just finished doing an M416 trailer. Yes I know it is not the correct trailer for the M37, but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Any way I had park lights, brake lights, flashers, left turn signal but NO right turn signal. I tried everything from testing each line continuity to reversing the harness think that would help.

On the M37 side I had everything working both right and left. So I firgured that it had to be the plug. Not knowing just how to test the plug, I ran a jumper wire from for the right turn signal, from the plug - forgot what number plug it was - to the right turn signal plug on the trailer. They worked - then nothing :x No lights on the trailer end or the M37 end.

I found out latter from CHARLES that I had blown my flasher unit. It was toast. So I ordered a new one from - what a great an knowledgable guy, he know everything about M37.

I wish I can tell you how this story ended but I have been to chicken to test it with my new flasher.

I am telling you this because unless you have losts of money to burn - in my case toast - ask questions and ask more questions again. Then do the testing.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just don't want anyone else making the same mistakes I did.

Good Luck

Carmen

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most likely you have damaged the directional lever switch. They are very flimsy electrically, and can quit just as described. The flasher is somewhat more robust, but even without it your stoplights will function.

Try another switch and see what happens. Then go to the trailer receptacle and the male pigtail and do a thorugh test to make sure the rubber holding the pins has not rotated, as there are several positions where the pins will index improperly. The "A" pin belongs at the top, just off center.

The rubber in the pigtail can be pushed out easily from the rear with a 1/4" steel rod for service. Silicone grease makes it a lot easier to reassemble.

There are three pins that will carry ground on the recep if wired properly, and a cross-indexed plug will short out things and cause your problems.

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks