• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressors - Gas vs. Electric

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been standing on the sidelines looking at air tools for a long time and am thinking of jumping in and buying a 23-25cfm air compressor for tools and occasional sandblasting or soda setup plus cabinet. This would be my first venture into air tools and I would like opinions. With Gas I could see mounting the compressor in the back of my duece or 813A1 or trailer and having an air tool just in case of flats. Then there is electric - 220V single phase - I would have to have an electrical line snaked through my finished basement to the other side of the house and make a spot for either a verticle or horizontal unit. Other than space, I'm not sure what the difference is between verticle and horizontal compressors. I would like to know if anyone can offer their experience/preference on gas vs electric as well as verticle vs horizontal. By the way, I was looking at the Northern Tools gas air compressor vs Ingersol Rand Electric. Next is beginners welding sets! Thanks

jasonjc

As for going in the back of the trucks, well both truck all ready have air on them. If you want to use a blast cabinet. You need dry air make sure to use at least one water seperator. Hor vs ver as you said it just space,that is the only diferance. I have an eletric 7-1/2hp that I got from Eaton Compressor & Fabrication Inc If I was too need another one (bigger) they would be my only call. One other thing to think about on size you will grow into a big one or grow out of a small one. Get the biggest one you can or you will kick yourself later. I know I'm on my 3rdauaaua

Nonotagain

I've been standing on the sidelines looking at air tools for a long time and am thinking of jumping in and buying a 23-25cfm air compressor for tools and occasional sandblasting or soda setup plus cabinet. This would be my first venture into air tools and I would like opinions. With Gas I could see mounting the compressor in the back of my duece or 813A1 or trailer and having an air tool just in case of flats. Then there is electric - 220V single phase - I would have to have an electrical line snaked through my finished basement to the other side of the house and make a spot for either a verticle or horizontal unit. Other than space, I'm not sure what the difference is between verticle and horizontal compressors. I would like to know if anyone can offer their experience/preference on gas vs electric as well as verticle vs horizontal. By the way, I was looking at the Northern Tools gas air compressor vs Ingersol Rand Electric. Next is beginners welding sets! Thanks
Too many variable to list on short notice.

Calculate the air volume required for the tools you want to power.

With that number in hand, look for a air compressor with a rating that will keep up with your requirement.

Purchase a unit that has the largest tank (gallons) offered so that the unit doesn't have to run all the time.

As for horizontal verses vertical, a vertical unit doesn't take up as much floor space as a horizontal unit. A horizontal unit has a lower center of gravity.

Gas verses electric: gas powered units cost almost twice as much as electric units up until you get to the 7-10 horse power range.

Tire service companies use horizontal tanked gasoline powered units due to lower center of gravity as well as being able to run them in remote locations.

For stationary applications, electric compressors rule.

I'm not going to touch the three phase verses single phase electric or single verses two stage compressor debate for now.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just so you have a reference, My Champion brand air compressor with a 5hp 220 motor, 80gal tank, and 2 stage pump has more than enough air for what I ever need. It is rated at 15-20 cfm depending on the motor thats running it. I would think that 25cfm would be way over kill. For cfm a single stage compressor will get you more and for higher psi, a dual stage will get you there. I agree that since you have compressors on the trucks that a good home electric one would be a better idea. Eaton makes great compressors and is very easy to work with. I almost got one from them. Post up if you have more questions.

Stalwart

LOW compressor RPM is a major consideration. Low rpm means less heat, less wear, longer compressor life and less moisture. Keep your compressor away from the blasting media! My blast cabnet runs my low rpm compressor continuously at 100 psi. As your tip erodes your cfm requirements go up, you want as much cfm as you can easily afford. Mine is rated at 23 cfm at 175 (two stage) and even more at 100 psi and I still run at 100% with my cabnet. I use walnut shells for aluminum and paint removal, and a mix of walnut and glass beads for paint and rust in thin steel. I use garnet for heavy metal with rust and thick paint.

BTW, most IR compressors turn way to fast for my liking.

Last edited:

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I think I would lean toward a model like the Eaton 7.5hp 80gallon single phase. Lots of CFM in case needed down the road. What about used vs. new. I've looked on a couple of websites and some machines look beat to heck. As with anything, new buys you peace of mind, used saves you dollars but does it really. Are compressors something you need to watch out for as far as limited life components?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There are aluminum with metal sleeves that are crap. Look for 100% duty service. Any can go bad, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a used Champion, IR, or Quincey. Also, direct drive is so noisy it will run you out of the shop and I agree with the slower speed will help with longevity(and are more quiet). Belt drive is best IMHO.

Katahdin

Depends on what your needs are. But if you haven't seen it, you'd be surprised how quickly an air sander, grinder, or small sand blaster can deplete an 80 gallon tank at 175psi. For continuous use you really need a two stage compressor and the bigger the tank the better.

I've got this one from Sears, got it on sale under $1000 with tax tho. I like it and the color.

Of course anything above 120PSI requires more expensive regulators and larger hoses, so budget accordingly. I've got this IR regulator-filter combo, IR stands behind the product. I bought an earlier model that was recalled and they replaced the whole unit with the newer model.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

I picked up this compressor for $200 from Craigslist about a year and half ago. Been using it pretty consistantly for a year. It's a 3 phase but I got a converter with it when I bought it. I wouldn't want anything smaller. Runs my drills, air chisel, impacts, blast without issues.

I recently got a 15hp 3 phase for free. [thumbzup] Needs the pump rebuilt but it'll be my upgrade when when I get a shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks