• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

continental vs. cummins .... 5 ton vs. deuce for fire truck

texas-5-ton

What a great site !! Needed some opinions on a brush truck and hoped that we had some firefighters/ truck guru's that could relate to my predicament. Anyways, we are looking at getting a military truck for a brush truck. I am wanting a 1,000 or 1,250 gallon tank for the bed. Now, I have a M54A2 picked out that is several miles away that I am going to go look at. I guess my real questions are::

1. Is the multi fuel better/worse than the cummins as far as power?
2. What is payload for the 5 ton vs. the 2.5?
3. Highway operating speeds?
4. Manuverablity, Center of gravity, length, height
5. Safety

Thanks for taking the time to review my listing. Any help would be appreciated..

Chad
RVFD

M1075

RE: continental vs. cummins .... 5 ton vs. deuce for fire t

1. More power with the cummins 240HP.
2. 5 ton and 2.5 ton offroad; double for onroad use (conservative military estimate)
3. 50-55MPH max road speed unless you go with bigger tires
4. Tractors (M52, M818) have the best manuverability
5. 5 Tons are probably safer due to increased size and power steering

hot rod deuce

CUMMINS ALL THE WAY.

That would be either a 220 or 250 or some were in there, either way its an 855. That motor is still used today. I would say one of the best on the road, simpler that a cat. Might not last as long but cheaper to work on and buy. There are SO many around you could go to a junk yard and buy ten for the price of one multi fuel. If you want power they go to 800 HP easy enough or back down and go get a 400 hp motor and just bolt it in. Not to mention the multi fuel is less than 500 CI compared to 855.

Westech

CPL

The one big problem with the multi is it can be made to make 200+ hp but it gets hot hot HOT!! if you run it stock and detuned fuel you can run it full out forever and not have a problem, but its a dog! and hotrod is right on price! The multi goes for well over 1000 bucks for a good runner and way over 2k for a military rebuild. I did check in to a NEW one from a place by me and lets say I can buy lots of Deuces for the price of that engine alone.

So a 5 ton with a clanker (cummins) may not get you there fast, but its the best wat to go. Power stering, lots of low end grunt, able to tow/haul LOTS more then a deuce, and chicks dig them.

chief76433

We bought a 5 ton because it was bigger and had power steering.It hauls 1250 gals.with no problem.It was second to arrive on a fire the other day.Saved a house.It was a good investment.Ready to fight fire we have about 13k in it.

Attachments

texas-5-ton

Hey chief,

Where is that fire at ??? My brother is a fireman at Brownwood and they went to a big fire on 377 over by Comanche and he said that forest service was there. Also, I want to come look at your truck !! I am in Rio vista and I need to get some pictures and ideas.

Chad Stone
RVFD

chief76433

Bluff Dale is on 377 between Stephenville and Granbury.That fire was our fire.It was about 5 miles from the station.It was on the edge of a 10k acre ranch.Rough country.Let me know when you want to come.

texas-5-ton

We came over a year or two back to Tolar to help on a fire that was on the N side of 377. Large grass fire at some ranch about 2 or 3 miles west of tolar

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks