• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'Pin-on' 10,000lb front winch

spicergear

I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a pair of winches on my truck so now that the big 20,000lb Garwood on the rear has been put in some hard use and proven itself it was time to head to the front and see what could be done there. The biggest hurdle with the Mog PTO's is that for all their bells and whistles...they don't have a reverser on the PTO. That makes one definately pay GREAT attention to surroundings when hooking up and making a pull. You need room to back up to release the tension or it would be trouble. But, all in all...not a big deal.

The front winch I did at least want to be able to reverse it so I decided to go with a hydraulic drive instead of the PTO drive. A deal on a new in box Parker 'TA' oil motor turned out to have just enough power (on paper) to work the winch with a 5th layer pull from info I found posted here on the site. I also needed to build a front bumper so this will be incorporated in to the design. Plus, I didn't want it to live there permanently...so the design needed to allow for a somewhat simple removal. Fun-fun.

My 406 Mog has the implement mounts on the front of the frame that are basically stand off's with 30mm holes for pinning on equipment. I decided to make mounts for a 10,000lb Garwood deuce winch that would catch that mount on both sides clevis style and simple pin on for the upper mount. The lower mount will have a 1" or 1-1/8" hole bored through the bumper and 7/8" pins will be at the bottom of the winch's side mounting plates and will stick though the bumper and simple be retained by an implement style, three point hitch type pin. Four solid points will make a healthy, yet quickly detachable, winch mount.

The bumper has 'L' shaped brackets welded onto it then bolt with four bolts per side to the frame. It is 2"x 5" x 3/8" wall rect tubing. Yeah...it's heavy.

In the pics you can see the silver side plates for the winch, then the front aluminum machined piece for the oil motor offset and chain drive, then the outer part to form the completion of the clevis style mount for the upper mount. Silver plate is 3/8" steel plate, aluminum offset is 5/8" where it matters, and outer clevis part (that was rect tube but modified a LOT) is 1/4" thick.

I left room between the motor and implement mount in case that motor just isn't quite enough...the next model has nearly twice the inch-pound rating and will bolt right in.

The worm or pinion of the winch was pulled and flipped so that the original yoke side is now at the front. I polished up where the seal will ride and cut a 1/4" keyway in it to fit the TSC sprocket hubs I bought and modified to fit this project. The rear of the pinion was cut off for clearance of a factory front Unimog PTO front output. Enough room was left on the shaft so that the seal will work in the rear bearing retaing/seal plate.

I have a cover made up for the front chain drive but not pictured. Next couple things to do are to unbolt the bumper, drill the two holes for the lower mounts, reinstall, then bush the 7/8" lower mounting pins and weld them onto the winch side plates.

Oh, I wanted to gain some extra side to side room so I removed the driver's side cover of the winch, clamped it down in my mill and plowed .600" off of the two heavy mounting stand-offs cast into that cover. So far its coming along pretty well...but taking a little bit picking at it a couple hours at a time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice fab work. Like the chain drive mount. Does the mog already have hydraulics on it?

spicergear

Hydraulics are very common on the 406/416 trucks. Because mine originally had a front dozer blade and rear backhoe, yeah...it has hydraulics...originally two separate systems. I pulled the rear system off but the front system has an engine driven hydraulic pump and tank up front under the hood. My truck has two factory drops with quick connect fittings beside the driver's side frame rail right at the front of the truck. Some of the Mogs have four drops in the same spot plus other connections back the truck. The valve is right above the steering box (basically) and the controls for the valve run up the steering column to two pendants off of the steering column sort of like another indicator stem. They also have several different positions they can be set in. It looks like all the psi's and gpm's are in line to have the motor working at optimum power...we'll see how real world and notations stack up soon. :grin:

spicergear

Update: About 90% done and have a few pics. Mounting plates are all machined welded and painted. Bumper had two 1-1/8" hole punched through it to secure the lower winch mounts. Lower winch mounts ended up being unmolested (finally a part I didn't have to remachine...) class one 3 pt hitch pins from TSC that mount through 1' and 3/4" steel pieces welded to the inner side of the winch side plate. You can see them in the one picture where the winch is hanging in front of the bumper and factory implement mounts. All work to the drive from the oil motor to pinion is done and I have a cover for that drive made just have a little finish work to do on it and drill it for mounting. Hydraulic lines are put on and fit well at 48" lengths to the factory hydraulic drops at the front of the truck.

Still need to make up the upper clevis style mount's pair of pins and finish the bumper but winch wise...it's just about there. I have two 7/8" craftsman socket filling in for pins at the moment. [thumbzup]

I even came up with a German nickname for the truck seeing how I've called the winches 'meat grinders' for a while...thinking that would command respect for them as if you get caught in it- that's what you'll be in. 'Fleishwolf' is German for 'meat grinder.' :mrgreen:

Attachments

tm america

Super nice job on the mounts..i finallly get to see a deuce winch on a truck it is properly sized for....You might consider building a shackle mount into it just incase you ever need to run a double line pull..It looks really good on there ..[thumbzup]

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice fabwork, as always! And I like "Fleischwolf" too! (... it takes a "c" if you wanted it real German... :smile:)

G.

spicergear

Thanks G! I'll keep it in mind!

Quoting Gimp: "I always liked your "real world" tests, should be interesting."

Well, the winch project did indeed get a good test last night. I hadn’t even ever tried the front hydraulic system on the truck but hoped it worked and had all the specs matched so fingers were crossed. Last night I backed the truck out of the shop and free spooled out some cable then got in the truck and pulled the lever back toward me. HA! The oil motor came to life and the cable was headed in. After I spooled that back I figured I’d see if it would flat drag the truck. I pulled in behind my stock W/W deuce truck and spooled out and grabbed the pintle hook. Both my deuce trucks are parked on a hill in case they have to be pop started. The hill stops right above the trucks and I the Mog parked on the flat.

I give a pull on the handle, oh…and have the engine just above idle at a warm up speed basically, and watch the line get tight and then the Mog starts moving. The engine speed decreased very slightly as the load increased but it kept pulling fine and began to flat drag the 8,000+lb Mog. That makes me happy. [thumbzup]

The previous owner had removed I’m guessing around 75’ of the ½” cable (which is a good thing so you have some room to the bottom crossbar…) and didn’t use the original terminating clevis end but used two cable clamps. I’ve never been fond of them but the winch looked like it had been used so I didn’t give them much of thought and again…they’re outta there as soon as the clevis end arrives anyway.

Since I already just flat dragged the Mog and was feeling very winch confident, I decided to see if I could drag the 14,000lb deuce out of its tire holes and up the hill. I take the brake off and pull it out of gear then hop back in the Mog and give the lever a pull. The Mog begins to move then I watch the deuce truck slowly raise up out of the tire holes and starts rolling back to me. I smile as six weeks of time here and there and machining, welding…and picking at it have all come to fruition in a darn decent set up. The speed is slow, but at no point have I had to rev the engine under load to get it to move.

So…I’m looking at the back of the deuce when all of a sudden there’s a ‘KA-DINK’ and the grab chain in the pintle hooks swings down under the truck. :shock: “NOOOO!” :shock: In disbelief of this new change in the event…and with that, the deuce starts rolling then get a quick speed boost as it ramps into the tire holes and keeps heading down the hill. I cut the hydraulics, jump outta the Mog and hit the ground running. The hill the truck is on has a mild slope, then a short steep area before it raises back again…then drops off then heads down into a field or grown up pasture full of pine trees depending on which way it decides to go. So I’m booking down the hill and catch up to the back of the truck and think about jumping to the bed then realize by the time I do that and clamor in then get to the front and climb down into the cab…I may as well just hide in the bed and go for the ride. ß Yeah, soo that’s out. I continue sprinting down the hill and as the truck hits the small rise I think for a moment I can make it to the running board. The short transition of the hill from down to up throws off my stride enough in my sprint that I lose a step on the truck and at that point choose discretion over valor (and getting my dumb a$$ run over by a side of tandems) and curtail the chase.

I stop and watch as the truck builds up steam again, chooses the way of the pine tree pasture, plows over a fence- luckily doesn’t snag any of the wire, smashes over top a some berry tree thing that was going to get pulled out this year anyway and ‘WHOOM’ slams through the first pine tree. At this point its dusk, 100yds away and the big camouflage truck has vanished but I can still listen to its path of destruction. Anyway…another healthy resonating ‘WHOOOM’ as it brush trucks its way over the next pine tree then a REALLY solid ‘FA-WHOOOMMP’ …’CRASH- CRUNCH- WHOOMP’ …and the even was all over. I had two choices of handling the matter: 1- lay down on the ground and kick for a minute or two or… 2- laugh at the situation; the clamps I hate, the ‘KA-DINK’ sound that started it all, the chase, and/or the sound of mother nature getting her butt ripped out at the roots. I chose two and bent over hollering laughing and then walked back up the lonely Mog atop the hill and began to spool the rest of cable back in.

I hopped in the Mog, fired all four of my Hellas…and headed down to survey the path of destruction. The berry tree thing and first two pine trees were laid over and the one pine tree was broken at the roots. The third pine tree about 9” diameter was broken right off of the roots and nowhere to be found at first. The next two pine tree stopped the truck as is turned its way into the one still almost making it though. The tree that had vanishes was under the truck with its sheared off butt wedged up against the U-joint and against the front of the front tandem.

Yep…it’s still there. Ha!

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

Oh, the deuces right front fender at the turn signal got folded down just a little but that will straighten up and so far...looks to be the only damage. [thumbzup]

I know... :cookoo:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yikes. Amazing that the truck did not suffer more. So good news, winch works. Bad news, wrecked deuce.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow... what a chain reaction! I could imagine your face when that truck disappeared in the wood....: :-o
Guess we are looking for another nickname now, for the Deuce!

Glad your truck AND you, both survived that REAL LIFE experiment....!:!::p

G.

Sevin7

Kind of reminds me of how I gained a whole bunch of work to do on my first car. I definately was not laughing at the time. But like you I was ok. On the other hand my vehicle was not but to be fair it wasn't a deuce. So, I feel your pain. It sucks when there isn't anyone to be mad at except your stupid self. :mad:

tm america

Not fun at least noone was hurt ..THis was a test this was only a test if it were an actual emergency you would have heard a snap then a whole bunch of crashing sounds..this was only a test beeeeppppp.What was the cause of the failure?

spicergear

Yeah...previous owners can sorta suck now and then. I have a 75' piece of 1/2" cable and the way it's supposed to be done is curling the cable back around, wrapping it around a thimble at the end...THEN THREE CABLE CLAMPS space evenly apart. Mine are about 4-6" apart and I've pulled like **** on that cable and never had the ends move whatsoever. This was 2 clamps, no thimble and it simply pulled out of the clamps. What people *think* they know can be dangerous. But anyway...here's a pic of the rescue today! HA! UNIMOG TO THE RESCUE!!! :razz: :beer:

You can also see the horrendous damage done to the passenger's side front fender from the multiple pine tree impacts suffered. HA! I had help from a deuce buddy Ray today and we hooked a tow strap around the winch drum so that the weight of dragging the deuce would be loading the rear of the Mog heavily. Luckily...it worked and the Mog did really well extricating the deuce and getting it out trees. Testament to both trucks-...

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

Just be glad it was the deuce that went for a ride down the hill it would been alot worse if it had been the unimog..That bumper being way out there cuz it is a winch truck surely saved it from alot more damage.. Don't look at it as a failed test.Look at it as a new way to make a trail:beer:

spicergear

You are very correct- not a failed test...a reaffirmation of the dangers of previous owners! :mrgreen:

An ironic part of the deal was that I was just telling my neighbor a couple days earlier that I was going to get rid of some the pine trees in that field. HA! The deuces batteries were too low to fire it so after dragging to the top of the field with the 406 I pop started the deuce. THEN, to make the deuce feel better...I let it run over a pine tree on the way back up the field. HA! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks