• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

marshalling MBT,s-caution

m880 unimog

one i see again and again every summer- we have to have marshals to move any tracked vehicles whilst on the show sites,we generally provide our own-as they know the routine.

HOWEVER

i often see folk directing MBT,S and other gun carridges whilst facing the vehicle AND beneath the main gun when gun forward.on a lot of machines the main gun will weigh at least 8 t and over.hauling on both steering levers,or pulling the bars will stop the tank on a dime-the gun can flatten a mans skull down through his chest all too easily-

most folk use sense-

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the post. As an old taker I must offer the proverbial pennies deuce.
  1. In an assembly area (i.e MV show/rally) always, always, always use a ground guide (marshal).
  2. Always, always, always use a rear ground guide when backing
  3. Face the vehicle only when NOT walking. When walking face in the direction of travel. Never move faster than a brisk walk.
  4. Respect that gun tube. Never walk beneath it. It will make your life miserable if it konks you on your noggin.
To this day, 20+ years later, I still will not walk under a guntube. I took a walking tour aboard the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor and I had to walk out of my way to avoid walking under the guntubes.

m880 unimog

them old habits die hard !

a few years back i had the honour of driving some tankies around the massive war and peace show,these guys were all in there 80, and 90,s and had served in ww2-we helped them up into my 4 tonner,we had got cushions to ease the ride,these guys all had the regimental blazers on and medals galore,i pulled up next to a churchill tank that was parked near the arena,one of the old fellah,s was out of the truck like a flash and was straight into the drivers seat like a shot!-the owner and hard working restorer was shocked at his sudden speed and how easily he leapt into the drivers hatch-old habits.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 6'1', 250lbs. and I can still crawl into an M1 driver's hatch like slipping on a silk glove. For some strange reason the bones and joints don't even creak when I do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks