• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bought an UGLY '62 404....planning to sell but should i remove...

azM35a2

hey guys. first off...please refrain from jokes, we all know it's ugly...nuff 'said.

so i bought this thing today, planning to sell it in the future.

my question is, should i remove the bed and sell it bedless, remove the bed and try to find a flatbed (significantly lengthening the timeframe it'll take me to get it ready to sell) or just sell it with that ugly bed on it?

apparently this was modified by/for Pepsi to haul vending machines to car shows? if anyone has more info on it or pics of it before it got to this point please let me know....i'm assuming it's one of a kind, or real close to it?

it's a '62 unimog 404, gasoline... i have to say, i've never driven one or seen one until today up close...they are...interesting to drive.

once again yes the bed is humorous, yes the paint is lame....so lets not:deadhorse:

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

February 12th, 2011.

:nothingfunny:

May I say, as a connoiseur of the S404.114 from the Swiss Army, that that particular machine is light years beyond ugly. That one is like waking up in Austin, Texas with a beer hangover and that Unimog in your garage..... I suspect its a combination of the bizarre paint job and the homemade bed.... They could have done so much more with an American truck.....;-) NOW I know why I like the Swiss cab better.... I hope you got a very good deal on that one, cause someone else obviously sold Pepsi on a different truck!
rofl

azM35a2

anyone have anything actually useful to say? considering i've already specifically asked to leave the idiocy out of the ad...

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please shoot it and put it out of its shame!!!!!!!!Better yet shoot it and put it out of OUR miseryLOL But on a serious note...............
pull the bed ,prime it and it will sell cause if Military trucks were judged on beauty we would "ALL" be in a bad way!!!!!! LOL

popacom/BILL in Ky.:shock:

azM35a2

would 8-9k be a realistic expectation out of it, painted the appropriate green with a flatbed? any idea how much a flatbed would raise the value vs no bed?

azM35a2

something everyone who's making negative comments fails to consider is due to the fact that pepsi put a buttload of money into "making" this thing...the body is in GREAT shape, no dents...the interior is great, the top is like new, the drivetrain is good, and it has 15xxx original KMs (under 10k miles).... so while yes, the paint job is ugly and the bed is ugly... it still has a lot of positives.

Last edited:

azM35a2

i think a duece bed would be a bit heavy...i was just going to grab a flatbed off of craigslist (theres plenty of cheap ones on there) though i think a dropside bed would be much cooler than a straight flatbed

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do a search for a pepsi collectors forum there might be a market as-is ,its probably 1 of a kind
and a pepsi collector with a garage and money might grab it up ya never know what people will buy .

13F10

hey guys. first off...please refrain from jokes, we all know it's ugly...nuff 'said.

so i bought this thing today, planning to sell it in the future.

my question is, should i remove the bed and sell it bedless, remove the bed and try to find a flatbed (significantly lengthening the timeframe it'll take me to get it ready to sell) or just sell it with that ugly bed on it?

apparently this was modified by/for Pepsi to haul vending machines to car shows? if anyone has more info on it or pics of it before it got to this point please let me know....i'm assuming it's one of a kind, or real close to it?

it's a '62 unimog 404, gasoline... i have to say, i've never driven one or seen one until today up close...they are...interesting to drive.

once again yes the bed is humorous, yes the paint is lame....so lets not:deadhorse:
OK... for starters... WHY ARE YOU GOING TO SELL IT?

Stick with the Winter Camo scheme, and if you have or know anyone with a M998 ambulance shelter put that on it. Looks like the rear axle would fit in the wheel well.

Then you've got a instant Winter Camo'ed 404 Camper.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good looking 404 under the 'makeup'. Wash her face and take her home and love her LOL.

An original flatbed would, IMHO, help the sale but the present market for 404 mogs is probably no where near your $$ expectations. ...but ya never know.

Bob

i think a duece bed would be a bit heavy...i was just going to grab a flatbed off of craigslist (theres plenty of cheap ones on there) though i think a dropside bed would be much cooler than a straight flatbed

azM35a2

well like i said, i overpaid... i have 5700 into it as it sits....by the time i paint it and put a different bed on it, i might be lucky to make anything. i got caught up in the auction.... it happens sometimes.

jluv1185

ebay...as is for 7500 with the ''make offer'' button. There may be a pepsi nut that just has to have it. Its worth a try. If they offer over 6000 i say dump it and cut your losses.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unimog: The choice of the 'ew" generation.

Sorry.

IMO a clean 404 with a OD cab and the bed removed should net about $6k.

Why not run it for a year to get some fun out of it before putting it on the chopping block?

Rick

azM35a2

i have 2 cucv's, a duece, the unimog, and a handful of quads, dirtbikes, rails, etc... i haven't went out and played on anything in....2 years. no time.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Keep in mind I know nothing about 'Mogs..................

But maybe wreckerman is on to something.... as I was looking at it, I was thinking an M101 bed. And if you are really clever, you could convert a trailer bed to a dropside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks