• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WI Trans 123 is DEAD

I received a call from RevChris about an E-mail he got. It appears that Trans 123 has been dropped. This is great news for hobbyists and collector car guys. I think we are still saddled with the restrictions of the HMV registration, but this may be good news for our MV future.
Here is what I got:

Wisconsin Dept of Transportation has withdrawn ch. Trans 123 from the legislative process.

Trans 123 was a proposal to prohibit the registration of non-standard vehicles in Wisconsin. WisDOT started with refusing to register vintage and current ex-military vehicles.

Substantial opposition was brought forth by many individuals and groups.

After that, WisDOT set aside Trans 123, temporarily, and worked with the ex-military vehicle groups interests.

Seperate legislation has been enacted to allow registration of vintage ex-military vehicles with limited use restrictions. They, also, have their own "military vehicle" license plate.

Seperate legislation has been created to allow registration of non vintage ex-military vehicles.

In 2010, WisDOT reinitiated Trans 123 and went after non-standard imported vehicles. The majority of the affected import vehicles would have been vintage or collector class vehicles. That proposal met with major opposition and was returned to WisDOT after the Transportation Committee refused to approve Trans 123, Sepember, 2010.

A new administration was elected in Wisconsin, November, 2010 and convened in January 2011. Trans 123 did not have much support from many returning legislators. Various individuals and groups have voiced their opposition to Trans 1223 to the new legislators.

Last edited:

lsansone

I respectfully wrote to the representives in WI, even though I was from CT. I think that everyone needs to advocate for our hobby, no matter what state you live in. glad to hear that reason has prevailed

lou

undysworld

Timothy,

The "best" way to register is depends on what you want to do with it.

If you intend to restore/preserve it to original military specifications, and operate it for display and/or parade functions, your cheapest bet is with the newer "HMV" plates. It qualifies for those.

If you intend to "use" it, like for hunting, hauling kids, or picking up stuff, then you might be better going for unrestricted "auto" plates. At present, you might not be granted these plates, right off. But that's what we're working towards right now. I believe that in the near future, civilian-based ex-military vehicles will be able to be licensed for normal uses. Currently, the Dodge M-880 can be. That Chevy Blazer should be too.

If you prefer the collector plates, you should qualify too. Again, currently, DMV may balk at this. Try it anyway.

The current efforts against DOT's attempted ban on milvehs seeks to restore normal registration options for all former military vehicles which met the FMVSS requirements on their date of manufacture. That will include any pre-9/31/69 milvehs, and any post-9/31069 milvehs which met FMVSS (like the CUCV's).

For more info on this unrestricted registration, please see: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politics-related-mv-hobby/65318-wis-unrestricted-use-milvehs-info.html

timothy676

Went to the local DMV office here in Racine in hopes of obtaining unrestricted plates for the M1009 and no such luck, after looking over the paper work for 10 minutes they told me I would have to mail everything to Madison but that I should leave the paper work listed for an unrestricted plate and it should be fine. The best part was when they told me “make photo copies because sometimes things get lost“ I asked if they except photo copies and he laughed and said no. I simply responded with "then I guess those photo copies will make a nice souvenir of what they lost" not very reassuring but he was trying to be helpful

undysworld

Timothy,

I'd strongly recommend that you keep copies, and send your paperwork via certified mail, so you get proof that WisDOT got it. Yesterday, I spoke with a guy who sent his application in. 3 months later, he called to inquire. DMV told him they never got his paperwork. He explained that that seemed difficult to understand, since he had someone's signature of acceptance. The DMV staffer then suggested that he could check further, and surprise, they found it after all. Then they refused his application and "lost" the pictures he sent in. But he got the rest of his paperwork back.

When DMV cancelled my title and plates, I requested copies of all the paperwork I submitted under Wisconsin's Open Record Law. They claimed they had no copies, and that the originals were destroyed. But after I filed an appeal, DMV mysteriously found copies of everything and submitted those copies as evidence.

Stick to your guns in demanding your choice of normal (auto) registration. Efforts are currently underway to force WisDOT/DMV to accurately interpret existing law/s, which should result in you getting what you want. Please do not despair and give up. Thanks for posting your info.

Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks