• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving right along on the -725

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got new shocks installed, new driveshaft and U-joints. Will be having pros come by this week to look at the brakes and install new windshield/rear ambulance windows. The old exhaust has been removed and awaiting a few moments of my time to install the new pipes and muffler.

Got a re-cored radiator back from the shop yesterday, newly painted and pressure tested. Will drop that in this afternoon, if I got a chance. This week I'll be able to stab in the new vacuum hoses and gas lines, hook up my new carb and fuel pump, and lube the chassis.

Looking at a tentative first-time start up in possibly 10 years for this rig. Will post pics when I got a moment on this end.

This Gladiator will live.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That they are. I spent a lot of time hanging out on M715Zone the past year learning about the ins and outs of these rigs. Only thing I don't like about that crowd is that they are mod happy - most of them have ripped apart their rigs and re-engined them, re-trannied them, put big tires and a lift kit on them, etc. They're no longer -715s then, in my opinion. The stock 230cid is fine, as long as you know its limitations and don't over-rev the engine. I told one of them, how many military vehicle museums or displays have you seen, with a -715 truck, painted CARC green (not original), with a 455 Pontiac and 40" mudders on them? Hopefully, none.
:)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, here's a few pics of the beast (she looks worse than she is. No really).

Front view. I have a replacement bumper sitting on top of the exisiting one - the exisiting one is twisted and will be pulled off in a few weeks to make way for the better one.

sermis

OK it is 383 green. I think the 11.00's look much better than the 9.00's. They fill the fender wells and have plenty of room. Unless someone really knows they will never notice they are not stock. The radial also ride so much better.

sermis

If you want to keep it stock that is great. I thought about it but cost was too much. One mod for safety is a duel master cylinder. Breaks have a duel circuit so if one wheel cylinder or line fails there is a second to stop the vehicle. Same as on modern vehicles. I have had break failure from single circuit systems and it is not fun.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice rig sermis. I like the body job, very professional look. As far as the door W/S, I haven't gotten any yet, but I reckon I'll find some generic stuff through JC Whitney or down at NAPA.

On a more sour note, I just got word today from Broadway Title, in my eternal search for a title for my rig, that they are currently running a 12-week backlog. Therefore, even if I can get my truck done prior to the vehicle show in Gilbert, PA, late in September, I won't be driving it there. CRAP!

sermis

I don't know about VA but could your local DMV do a title search and if none is found do a bill of sale and bonded title.

EastCoastKaiser

Nice rig. Sorry to hear about the DMV hassles.

I just picked up a 67 M725. Planning on keeping it stock outside and convert to a camper inside. Got another 67 M715 in the deal too. Now to find room for them all.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good finds, Scott. If you happen to have a spare muffler in your lot, or plan on redoing your exhaust system with something more modern, PLEASE think of me (and soon!). Finding a stock or repro muffler for these -715s is like finding lost treasure or something. I offered $100 to a guy on M715Zone.com for his NOS muffler and I never heard back from him, I guess he felt insulted!

mcinfantry

i heavily modded my old m715. like i plan on doing my wc-53. i did keep it looking military.

id rather see a heavily modded m715 than a rusted junkpile in a yard as "all original" and "im going to restore it ONE DAY"

EastCoastKaiser

I just picked these up off Ebay this week. I'm going to check them out and pay for them on Sunday. Suppose to be a lot of spare parts. I'll see what's available for mufflers. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know Sunday night what I find.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I'm just going to take the old, rotted-out one I have to Meineke to have them make up a replacement. Probably be cheaper than finding a NOS one.

Am having the guys from Blue Ridge Auto Glass come over the end of the week to install new rear ambulance windows and a windshield. They came over this morning to size them up, and should have everything cut and ready to go by Wednesday.

Hoping to get a friend to come by this Sunday and help me out with a little sheet metal repair. There is a little cancer on the bottom left of the front valence, some hole patching that needs to be done here and there, and I have a new panel to spot weld into the driver's side floor, since that is showing some signs of rust-through.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, let me know. Also in desperate need of the side compartment door for the ambulance body. Mine was folded in half, and making one would be FAR too difficult.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YAY! Finally got the back windows and the windshield installed in the -725.

But, bad news and good news:

Good news, now the rig is sealed out from the environment, and I won't have any more water from the rain or leaves from the trees blowing into my project and making life harder for me.

Bad news, cost to have two guys from the local window glass place come out, measure the opening, order the correct seals and glass, cut to fit, and install on site (since my truck can't move under its own power yet): $550 for everything. OUCH! Talk about a bill I wasn't expecting it being as high as it was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks