• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA State Collector Vehicle license HB 1933

Amer-team

WA State collector vehicle owners. There is a bill in the house in Olympia that is making the rounds, HB 1933. They are trying to extend the years from 30 to 40 year for a collector or historic vehicle. I just got a copy of this on Friday and have not had time to research it yet. If you do have time, please check it out and let us know what you think. We may need to be calling some house members on this and letting them know what we think.

I think if there is an issue driving this, they should enforce the laws that they already have. I will try to look into it tomorrow.
Peter L.

Amer-team

Sorry still haven't got my homework done on this. Thank you Mike for sending the short version.

Pretty much what it means is that as of this date, unless you have a vehicle that is 1971 or older, you can't do a collector plate. Since many of the vehicles that we own are trucks, in WA you would be paying license and tonnage fees on them for ten more years. the tonnage fees on my M54 were about 250 dollars more than just the straight license.

I was surprised that the Dept. of licensing doesn't have it available in the system to track our vehicles by license plate. I did get stopped in Oregon last summer with the M38A1 and the State Patrolman could not get anything back on the jeep through their system.

I do keep a copy of the regulations pertaining to the licensing of the vehicle in with the registration and insurance to answer law enforcement questions pertaining to licensing.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds to me that in these turbulent economic times your state is looking for new ways to nickel and dime you to death. Just my take on it. Here in CA Historic (Collector) Vehicle plates are set at 25+ years. Its one of the few saving graces around here. Just hope they don't catch wind of that nonsense down here.

srodocker

theres 2 plates up here antique and collectors. antique are only to and from events and collectors you are able to do your own thing. this is what the DMV told me when i titled my truck

wsucougarx

OK Washington State SS, you need to get on the stick with this one. I just sent the opposition to HB 1933 to my Reps. Here's the link to figure out who your reps are.
Find Your Legislator

Be sure to send Representative Finn a message of opposition as well. He's the one sponsoring this Bill.

Don't delay, get it taken care of. If this goes through they may push for more limitations!!!

Here's what I wrote my reps:

I am writing in response to the introduction of House Bill 1933 sponsored by Representative Finn. This HB deals with an Act relating to license plate fraud and law enforcement safety. Although I do not oppose some of the measures contained within this bill, I do however oppose the proposed change of the vehicles age criteria contained therein. Currently, any vehicle of 30 years or older falls within the category of “Collector Vehicle”. I do not see the justification of changing the current 30 years plus age to 40 years plus. As it is, I may drive my Collector Vehicle once every two months for leisure only and in support of our US armed forces. I feel this proposed change will impact collectors and enthusiast in a negative way. I do support the enforcement of laws relating to how one uses these “Collector Vehicles”. Please consider opposing HB 1933 with it’s current language proposals relating to the age requirement of a “Collector Vehicle”

Very Respectfully,
Michael L. Henderson, Jr PharmD
I

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I see there is also a HB 1934 which would require yearly renewals on the Collector Plates. Of course this Bill is sponsored by the same yahoo who is sponsoring

Irv

Hi. Are you sure you have the right bill? Here is what I found on wa.gov:
HB 1934 - 2011-12

Allowing school districts and other educational entities to require background investigations and screenings for employees.

There is no mention of anything related to us in it. Thanks for keeping an ear out for this kind of legislation, though. I'm happy to get involved to hold back the tide. Let's nip this in the bud. Thanks. Irv

I see there is also a HB 1934 which would require yearly renewals on the Collector Plates. Of course this Bill is sponsored by the same yahoo who is sponsoring

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks