• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airing up HEMTT wheels safety Q?

Yohan

Guys, I've search and found a lot of info on the split ring wheels and safety issues when airing them up. I have not found any info here that addresses airing up HEMTT wheels with XLZ (my plan for super singled 5 ton). I will also have bead locks in the tires (Do I really need them????) I will be road driving locally; not rock climbing or canyon jumping.

I asked the local tire guy if he would do them for me, but he had no idea what I was talking about and doesn't want to touch them.

I have read posts about mounting the big tires on the HEMTT rims, but nothing I could find mentions any risk of the tire (side wall?) blowing apart or the rim coming apart while airing up. Someone told me it takes 40 minutes to air one of the XLZ's up. I have no problem doing the work myself if I can learn to do it right, but I would rather a knowledgable professional mount the tires if I could end up killing myself or someone else.

My safety question is: Is there any danger of these tires exploding like the split rings when one is airing them up? Are there any issues I should be aware of, other than the heavy lifting and big tires falling on me. I don't want to be a statistic or wind up with tires that are not mounted properly and safely.

I live near Syracuse, NY though I have not tried asking any other tire places in the city about doing the mounting for me. Thank you for any advice.

John

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are not going to air the tires down low you do not need the beadlocks...that is their purpose...to keep the bead from breaking when the CTIS airs down the tires for traction.

I don't know why a professional tire shop would have a problem with rims that bolt together....it is not like they can fly apart if over inflated.

I would try another tire shop...maybe one that specializes in heavy equipment tire service.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

HEMTT rims are two-piece, not split. When the split ring blows apart the locking plates fly out like shrapnel. That wouldn't happen with a two-piece rim.

You "can" put beadlock inserts in them if you like. But I doubt the XZL's will flatten as much as you think when aired down. They have reinforced sidewalls.

Using bead lubricant while seating is always advisable. It certainly can't hurt. That's normal procedure for 1-piece rims. I don't see why 2-piece rims would be any different. Just please don't do the drunken redneck lighter fluid thing.

(But if you do please take video & post the YouTube link here. Thx)

Pooch1128

we have super singles on both our A3's have removed ctis off both and removed all tires from rims and install thicker "O" rings between both halves of rims and remounted, thats 6 tires x 2 MV"S and have had no problems, like unforgiven stated this are not split-rims they are two piece rims, if you tell anyone in the tire service that you have split rims they won't even talk to you. This rims bolt together....Oh there was one problem could not move for two days afterwards.....HEAVY....

Yohan

Thank you all very much for your input- I truly appreciate it.

Wreckerman, I didn't think I needed the beadlocks. Through reading of posts, I thought I understood what they were for. I figured that since the seller included them in the price and I didn't ask for them, it would make it easier to mount the tire than without them. (The seller included beadlocks in the price- $25 per beadlock I think and they were the "newer" style, what ever that is.) I think I'll get a new quote without the bead locks included. Thank you!

Unforgiven, I wouldn't do the redneck lighter fluid thing- I know what you're talking about. I've got one vid on youtube and it's my black poweder morter firing with my oldest son in it when he was a wee lad. Nothing too crazy, though!

Area52m, I will look around for prices as I don't have a whole lot of spare time on my hands. If I did, I wouldn't be writing this at 1208 hours!!! The War Department is already buggin me about turning the light out on my night stand... Thanks for your input!

Pooch, Thank you for the advice. I also see you have a Bullmastiff? We had one, Mad Max was his name. We put him down the day after this last Christmas. My wife and I cried every day for about two weeks, like babies I might add. He was the champion of out hearts and we (kids included) miss him dearly. That's him in our APC below. If the door was open; he was in it just hangin out. I think he loved it as much as I did!

Tinwoodsman, I think I can handle it, given the time, which I figure for me would be about six hours per tire/rim. I'll try almost anything once, though!

My biggest concern is that I wouldn't do something really stupid on my first go with these things and needed help from my fellow SS'rs. Thank you all, truly, for your replies and willingness to help me. If my deal goes through, which I believe it will, I will start a thread in the 5 Ton Mod n Hot Rodding section when appropriate. Peace.

John (out)

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
On the other hand, the bead locks make it WAY easier to seat the bead when airing them up for the first time. I can only speak for 395s and 1400s though.

Yohan

I think this is what the seller said about 395's and I just assumed it was the same with the XLZ's. Thanks gimpy.

On the other hand, the bead locks make it WAY easier to seat the bead when airing them up for the first time. I can only speak for 395s and 1400s though.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do it on your own. HEMTT rims are super easy to seat. I even got mine to seat with the air valves IN the wheels. Do a search under my name and you'll see the wheels and tires I did in a write up step by step. Mine were recentered to the 2.5T bolt pattern, but the process is the same.

Yohan

Patracy,

Thanks for pointing me to your thread! I missed that in my search. Sometimes I get lucky in a search and other times I miss it. I will read it with enthusiasm...

Do it on your own. HEMTT rims are super easy to seat. I even got mine to seat with the air valves IN the wheels. Do a search under my name and you'll see the wheels and tires I did in a write up step by step. Mine were recentered to the 2.5T bolt pattern, but the process is the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks