• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

numbers and letters on bumpers???

Deuceandahalf

There´re numbers and letters on the bumpers I know it's about the unit in that the truck was but in which one.
Anybody a clue where to look up for that???
I'm looking forward for any reply,
thanks for now,
chris

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There is no universal code to decipher these numbers posted on the net anywhere that I know of - your best bet is to post them here on the group and more than likely one of us will be able to tell you what they mean. The final sequence is the vehicle's order of march.

Hope this is some help.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey MrAugust, I've found all but the RH side markings, Wanna give it a shot?
LH top; 63RSC...63rd Regoinal Support Command, Los Alamitos Ca.
LH bottom; 950MT...950th Maintenence.
Here's the stumper for me,
RH side; DS310..Direct Support for 310??? The best I can track down is the 310th Psych Ops out of Florida.
I called Los Al, they confirmed the LH markings, but nobody had a clue as to DS310.Any ideas?

Attachments

MrAugust

the nos on the Right is defined as.... the possition in a convoy or group of vehicles... ds most likely group support vehicle no 310 in a q or movement situation.... thats how i read it any way... easy as 2/acav Is 2nd air cav div.. 7/1 seventh or first... other side HQ 13... head quarters no 13 in convoy . hope it helps a little unless it all changed in latter years... or you baught private and some one made the nos up......

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me, we (the modern US Army) doesnt line trucks up according to their bumper numbers when in convoys..... All it means is what truck number in the company it is.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible that the 310th IS the 310th Psych Ops out of Fla? If so, why would a truck based in Ca. have direct support of a unit in Fla?

MrAugust

emmado22 said:
Trust me, we (the modern US Army) doesnt line trucks up according to their bumper numbers when in convoys..... All it means is what truck number in the company it is.
as said above truck no... read my quote..i.e all it means is truck no.... in the company so why so hastie to correct with out reading,..... see some one asks and people try to help then 1 or 2 are trying to 1 up with out reading first... nice one u now look silly dont you....

MrAugust

MrAugust said:
the nos on the Right is defined as.... the possition in a convoy or group of vehicles... ds most likely group support vehicle no 310 in a q or movement situation.... thats how i read it any way... easy as 2/acav Is 2nd air cav div.. 7/1 seventh or first... other side HQ 13... head quarters no 13 in convoy . hope it helps a little unless it all changed in latter years... or you baught private and some one made the nos up......

as above..... vehicle no 310.......

dannymoz71

The numbers on the left indicate the unit, battalion, div, or higer. I.E. D Det 546 PSB, witch was Delta Detachment 546th Personnel Support Battalion. The numbers on the right are just what truck number it is in the unit. I.E. D8, wich was the 8th truck in Delta Detachment. Some units go in numerical order and some dont. It all depends on the unit. Ive been in units before that the right side helped the us maint guys to know what kind of truck it was, because we were such a big unit. I.E. the right side number was 588 205, HMMWV: 588 405, CUCV: 588 605, 5 ton: 588 805, 2 1/2 ton, 588 059, HMMET wrecker, ETC. the 588 part was for 588th Maint Batt.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So DS310 = Direct support for 950 Maint, 310th veh in division?

jumpmasterjim

The number 310 could be 3rd platoon . as said earlier the rh number is assigned today for accountibility purpouses. My last unit we used the 1st numer of the 3 digit number refered to the platoon . 3 . 1 would be the squad1st. and 0 would probable mean 1st vehicle in that squad.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To Mr. August:
I read your brief explanations to mean the same thing EMMADO22 thought it did. I do not think it is a good idea for one member to put down another with a negative remark as you did. It is good to correct misunderstandings, but not to use put-downs. I would not have appreciated it.
Thanks Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks