• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 FOV maintenence

Bogibar

I need to talk with some people that have experience jacking or lifting the M977 FOV. I need to find out how the jacks work and if there are any problems with the current system. Any insights would be helpful.

Stalwart

I have a M977 HEMTT, but I don't have the jacks that are standard issue for the truck. I use a 20 ton floor jack, NOT a bottle jack, floor jack that weighs 600 lbs.

Bogibar

It's unclear about what is standard equipment. What I have deduced so far is that there are one or two hydraulic rams used as jacks that attach to a single hand operated pump that has two outlets.

Stalwart

My TM's only mention a bottle jack and the use of jackstands. The photo I've seen in one TM looks like a common 20 ton jack.

Bogibar

I have next to nothing at this point. I have some photos of surplus units. That gets me to. Why surplus them instead of recondition them. I'll see if I can get these photos scanned to a reasonable size and forward them to you.

Stalwart

If the pictures are of sufficient quality and you have a good camera, I've taken a digital pic of a photograph with very good results. stalwart -at- mac -dot- com

Bogibar

It's the real deal! It adjusts to the movement of the vehicle. It works on hill sides and it works very fast. It was originally designed for the up-armored HMMWV. Now we have 10 ton versions of it. I am just launching the commercial versions of this unit. I've had photos sent to me by guys in Iraq that were using it on a Hemtt. On the other end of the spectrum, I designed a jack for the Predator Drone UAV.

Stalwart

I'll go grab the hard copies of my latest TM's. I only did a search of the PDF versions of the manuals (700+ MB), not flipping through the hard copies.

The pump unit looks familiar somehow, but I don't have one. Must have a single piston pump with a check valve on each circuit with the hand valve to return to reservoir. The jack is strange, I'll have to go look under my truck where the flat top might sit securely under. With that jack, if you twist up the collar, you have no need for jackstands because the threaded collar will hold the load if the hyd. pressure drops. My guess is it's somebodys idea that you don't need to have jackstands as well as a jack. Sounds like a lot more cost for minimal usefulness. Plus spinning that collar would be slower than using jackstands. Can you imagine if those threads get rusty or lots of sand stuck over all those lubricated threads?

And how much will this Commercial verson of your jack be? For most things it would be a LOT more handy than my jack:

OTC Tool Manufacturer for Cars and Trucks : Products

OOPS, it is only 531 lbs NOT 600.

BTW, I'm a 1988 Embry-Riddle grad: A&P, Dispatcher

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks