• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII B-29 Fly's again..

vtdeucedriver

Just some added info. "Fifi" just like her sisters during war time were plaigued with engine problems due to a bad design in the engine itself. After ww 2, later versions of the R3350 were developed and were much more reliable then the version used on the B-29. After MUCH financial strain taken by the CAF after back to back engine failures (making metal) They decited to ground the airplane until a better solution was achieved. Due to ALOT of financial donations to the CAF, they were able to take Cylinders off one version and the powersection of another version of the R3350 and make it work on the B-29!! FIFI's current engines are actuall "de-rated" but have been givin more power then the stock engines. Now only does she have the reliability but a bit more to make her a bit better "should" a engine fail on take off. She returned to the air last year with her new engines and that video is of that time.

Flyingvan911

They should see where the Airline History Museum in Kansas City gets engine parts for the Constellation (L1049G). It too has had engine troubles but I think they got them worked out. It is a beautiful plane.

jwaller

I got to sit in the pilots seat on superbowl weekend when I was in dallas.

very cool airplane and the crew and I sat for ~3hrs talking about her. awesome stuff.

Takai13

Wonderful to know one of them is still in the air. It is rather sad to think after the historic moments that the B-29 was involved in only one stil airworthy.

1995USAFRetE6

I've seen FiFi before... She is awesome. She came to Mtn. Home AFB during a WWII commorative (getting older and can't spell no more). I'll try to dig up an old photo I've got with her sitting on the flightline and post it (got a few storage boxes to check through).

1995USAFRetE6

Oh... Mtn Home AFB was a bomber training base during WWII with both B-17s and B-29s... that is why she came up for the celebration. Just thought I'd add that info. There are still places on base where 50 cal brass, links, and rounds can be found. Hope FiFi keeps flying.

vtdeucedriver

Hope FiFi keeps flying.
Well thats the whole idea for the re-engine program that the CAF came up with. There are only 2 other B-29's that have the hopes of ever taking to the air once again in private hands. The CAF went to both owners to try a joint effort and have a bunch of engines made. One did not have the engines built but did loan a nacell and cowling for testing so the new engines could be retrofitted that much faster. This airplane is the worst condition of the 3.

http://warbirdregistry.org/b29registry/b29-4521787.html
The next in line to fly is under SLOW restoration and is currently in limbo on her direction. Her owner has already stated in no interest in the engine program if EVER completed, she will battle the same problems as "FIFI" has all these years.
http://warbirdregistry.org/b29registry/b29-4469972.html

Last edited:
It's a shame that only one is in operable condition. My grandfather flew in one as the tail gunner 462nd Hellbirds "with malice towards some" I was told a while ago that a lot of them where used for target practice with artillery and such. :cry:
The B-29 is quite the fine looking airOplane:drool: although same with the B-17

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

[QUOTE I was told a while ago that a lot of them where used for target practice with artillery and such. [/QUOTE]

Well believe it or not but the bulk of your survivors today were recovered off gunnery ranges!!! The current flyer "Fifi" was one of them.

vtdeucedriver

Found this for the Youtube junkies, I myself followed along on a forum for warbird owners and fans. RIP Gary!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMMvIT8brQc[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks