• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass hood?

Bigmanbrock07

So the M63A2 I'm buying has some rust issues. Cab is pretty bad off, as are some side peices, and I was thinking about having a buddy just pop a mold off the existing hood and make it out of fierglass. Surely it'll be lighter and easier to handle wouldn't it?

Anyone ever seen one or had it done? Just running ideas around in my head and I figured y'all had seen or heard of one, or good reasons not too...:cookoo:

Bigmanbrock07

what is a m63a2
is it a m35a2 if so the m35a3 had a fiberglass hood for one year

No sir, it's an M63A2 Seorl bodied 5 ton. Haven't run across many of them, and it isn't the easiest to find info. It was a rolling machine shop, although I plan on making it a 4 door and possibly bobing it. However, the hood needs replacing and I just didn't know if anyone had seen many fiberglass hoods?

The one for the deuce, do people like them much? If I could have them made, and passed them out at cost, would anyone else be interested?

Last edited:

dozer1

It would be great if you can get it done cheap esp. I dont know the process of making fiberglass hoods but if he makes one should he just as well make 10? 50? I too am just running ideas in the for what its worth dept. How about this. He gets a mold of a 5 ton hood and makes it a little taller so guys that want to put turbo, intercooled cummins engines in would have the room to do so?

Bigmanbrock07

Yeah, I'm going to have to pay for the mold, and then I'll get to keep it. But it won't cost too much after that for each consecutive hood made. How much higher would it need to be, and where at on the hood needs raised? I've just got the duece multi fuel engine so I don't know if a turbo swap and intercooler would help much as I don't want to sling a rod out of the block. :sad:

dozer1

How much higher would it need to be, and where at on the hood needs raised? I've just got the duece multi fuel engine so I don't know if a turbo swap and intercooler would help much as I don't want to sling a rod out of the block. :sad:

I dont know for sure on that, but I am pretty sure it has been done a few times by SS members who would most likely be glad to contribute info about it if you wanted to look into it. I dont think its much , maybe a 5 " higher middle hump or something. Lets see if anybody wants to help out on that a bit.

jeep-Jeep

the A3 would be a better selling item since most of the metal ones are rusted beyond repair .
that would not help you though .
sorry for the m35 comment just figured you to be a newbe that is what I get for post # profileing

Bigmanbrock07

the A3 would be a better selling item since most of the metal ones are rusted beyond repair .
that would not help you though .
sorry for the m35 comment just figured you to be a newbe that is what I get for post # profileing
I am very much a newbie actually. ;-) So no worries. I posted over there too. If someone wants to lend me a hood I'd pay for the mold fee and just have them done on a cost basis. My cab and such is the same as an M35 I believe, but the hood I 'think' is the same as the 800 series if I've read right??? Guess I need to find another 5 ton and compare eh? :lol:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M36 is the LWB deuce. His truck is the 5 ton mobile machine shop with multi engine.

DUECE-COUPE

the fiberglass hood would be light, and nice until the first time you forget it is FIBERGLASS and try to walk on it by mistake, then you will be askin your self "why didn't i just get another steel hood??"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks