• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Laws to display your GT

digitaldust

Has anyone had a problem displaying a gun truck ?
I see most all gun sale sites that make fake guns have a RED tip on them.
What do I need if I'd like to build a gun truck?

Driver523

I have around 15,000 miles on these trucks stateside, only once have we been ask to cover the guns ( GA I think ) if you don't have the guns on all you have is a really neat looking battery truck, I've been through at least 17 states with NO PROBLEMS-----one tour was 11 days, 2418 miles, 13 states, and no troubles----been around Chicago on I-94, been big roads and little roads, big towns, little towns and well recieved everywhere we went---been through ( what I can remember ) MI. IN. OH. KY. TN. WV. VA. NC. MS. LA. WI. MS. PA. MD. AL. DE. GA. ---been offered a place to stay more then once and security for the truck inside and out, we usually have a complete crew or more in the rear, have run alone and with as many as 7 gun trucks, everywhere we stop for fuel is a display, most the time its hard to get back on the road, we have been chased by newspaper outfits, TV crews, and old vets that had'nt seen a gun truck in 40+ years, never have had a single bad experience over the road, have met or waved to the greatest people on earth, generaly people want to do something for ya, food, fuel or whatever, we stayed at a hunting lodge in Michigan, a great place---then to see America from the back of one of these trucks will take your breath away, rain, cold, or the heat its all good, two lane roads are the best, back roads and little towns, the police never seem to be around till you stop--then there they are up on the truck with their partner taking their photo, My suggestion would be this, build your trucks to drive, bring them up to speed, and get out there for all to see, the trips over the roads are really better then the displays, most of all PLEASE NO RED TIPPED GUNS, we leave them right out in the open rain or shine, oil em up just like the real thing an tie em down-----Your in for a great time-------Driver

WarrenD

While I appreciate Driver's experience, I have to add that certain states that he has not been to (including CA, CT, MA, NY and NJ) may have different opinions. If you look at some of the folks selling replica guns, you will see there are some states that they will not sell to, there is a reason for that! It is always wise to check with the LEO's to see what is legal and what is required. Membership in MVPA and a local affiliated club would certainly help as would making yourself and your vehicle available for some charity work. Whatever you do, do not knowing violate any state or local laws as it reflects badly on the entire MV hobby. I learned about CT a few summers back.....but that's a different story for a different day.

gunboy1656

What driver mentioned was for vehicle gatherings/trips, do it alone and you will more then likely have a difference experience. I remember a post about a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years ago about a guy driving a jeep with a 50 on it through traffic and the cops were called on him.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

MotorTMan

I live in western Pa, been driving my 5 ton with a 50 on top for years around here and never had a problem. It also could be that Im well known to local municipalities doing events for them and so on...

Riktord

What driver mentioned was for vehicle gatherings/trips, do it alone and you will more then likely have a difference experience. I remember a post about a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years ago about a guy driving a jeep with a 50 on it through traffic and the cops were called on him.
This is why I love Texas... 100% legal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in plain view.
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

As far as the legalities of weaponry. The easiest legal way to "mark" a weapon that is disarmed is to wrap a blue band around a major component of the weapon. This signals it as INERT per military and most police codes.

Also a red/orange plug in the end of the barrel(s) wouldn't hurt.

Driver523

Most my trips on these trucks were running alone, that being said I also agree that trip planning with the local and state laws being checked out should take place, but then again is a legal gun legal or not, never have run with live guns stateside, let me ask this---Is there anywhere a dummy gun is illegal?---where do you need a permit to have a dummy gun? Its true you do need some common sense in the way you carry or display them but honestly I think we have rights also, the people that may over react are the ones that are responsible for their actions not me after all I'm not yelling fire in a theater, I think if we just give into what some cop or do/gooder feels with no law behind them we have no need for laws--just do as your told, if we don't stand up for rights we'll lose em, we have never pointed guns at anyone, and sim-fires really suck in public displays and such---I say just stay legal, legal, legal----I really don't mean to sound so harsh but these guns weather they are rubber, aluminum, or demilled are legal buy their standards I didn't write the laws---We will take our guns down when they are shown to be illegal to be on the trucks, I couldn't view that vid of the jeep with a 50 on it but by the posts it sounded like the cop was way off base, bottom line I guess is to each his own, but I know this--That Ace truck has never covered its guns and never will till they come and take em off by force, it has only once had its guns taken off and that was for live guns to be put on at Knob Creek, and when the live guns came off the dummys went back on---protect your rights not only for yourself but also for others, When I meet some of you guys that I have'nt yet met and I'm on a gun truck--you'll see the guns on the road or off----Driver

paulfarber

All you need is one uppity cop to ruin your day.

In most states having a weapon in a car (while not going to/from the range, gunshop or used in work) requires a concealed carry permit. In PA you do. Unless the firearm is out of reach, locked up and the bullets away/out of the gun and for the above reasons you need a concealed carry permit.

Drive through a 'Class I' (or 'A', I forget) city (philly, pitts-burg) and see how LEO 'admires' your truck... during a felony stop.

Granted less urban areas are far more forgiving and most of the LEO are most likely hunters, etc so they have a better idea whats going on... but again, drive through hippyville and get an anti-gun cop and you better have some papers (in PA at least... in NY/NJ/MD and a few others just get ready to go to jail.

Smart thing is to take'em off.

Although there are federal laws allowing you to travel THROUGH a state, the restrictions are still pretty tight... locked up, unloaded, out of reach.

Recht71

We've been far west to Branson Mo and east to Norfolk V.A. and everywhere in between.Have never taken the guns off .We did get surrounded by the local Police in Salem M.O Somebody called. They all got on the Trucks for Pictures. This last Aug left Northern Ind. to Carisle P.A and Gettysburg.Had a few police wave at us. I'm sure if you get a cop with a burr up his ---- could give you trouble. Till Later Randy

Flyingvan911

In most places even a toy gun with an orange tip can't be shown around in the general public. I play airsoft and I keep my guns in real gun bags marked "Airsoft" in permanent marker. I keep them in the back of my van, or the deuce, when I'm going to/from a game. Even a fake gun can get you in trouble if the LEO really wants to ruin your day.

I'd say take the gun (real, inert, or fake) off when driving around. Or make a cover for it. Maybe out of OD canvas that can be locked with a padlock. Put it on at the event. I tend to be on the cautious side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks