• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I found a 42 chevy 6x6

Myopic

I read the rules when i joined but cant remember. Can i post a link for an ad thats not mine? just thought maybe yawl might be interesed in this truck. The price seems very fair.

link to follow as soon as someone says its ok...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you read the rules a month ago, and forgot already?

You could have just clicked the link in the top menu bar "Forum Rules"

• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.

Do not post items For Sale or items Wanted in the forums. That is what the Classified Ads section is for. The link may be found at the top of the site in the menu bar. Moderators may delete your For Sale or Wanted postings without notice. It is OK to post an item for sale if it is done in an effort to help another member or if the need for a part comes up during the course of a restoration or repair thread. EXAMPLE 1: Member A posts that their Deuce is broken down and they believe it is due to a faulty in-tank pump. Member B may post that he has a used transfer pump for sale for $XX and to PM if interested. Example 2: Member A has an ongoing thread describing his M817 dump truck restoration. He mentions in that thread that one of his hydraulic lines is leaking and he would like to know who has the best price on them.

Last edited:

paulfarber

No, its a G506 Chevy 4x4.

CCKWs and Chevy closed cabs shared A LOT of sheet metal.

The give away is the fuel filler and gas cap right behind the cab.

As for as 'original' or 'rare'.. buy the truck, not the story. Originality is in the details like the engine, gas tank, motor, etc etc etc.

$6500? yeah right. Unless it got a ton of pictures to back up the 'originality' claim its a parts truck... depending on the condition of the mechanical's maybe $2500-$3500 in running/stopping shape. $1500-$2500 if it 'ran when parked'.

Myopic

Thanks for the info ^ Sorry if I broke a rule. It's not my ad, nor do i know the seller, I was looking for a '41 chevy 2 door coupe and saw it.

I posted it to help others and have nothing to gain except knowing that if someone here happens to buy it, it would most likely be kept up and will be in a parade in 2042 and not rotting in a field.

I'm old and forget things, thats why i asked first.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
paulfarber;796363[B said:
]No, its a G506 Chevy 4x4. [/B]

CCKWs and Chevy closed cabs shared A LOT of sheet metal.

The give away is the fuel filler and gas cap right behind the cab.

As for as 'original' or 'rare'.. buy the truck, not the story. Originality is in the details like the engine, gas tank, motor, etc etc etc.

$6500? yeah right. Unless it got a ton of pictures to back up the 'originality' claim its a parts truck... depending on the condition of the mechanical's maybe $2500-$3500 in running/stopping shape. $1500-$2500 if it 'ran when parked'.
the seller said it is a 6x6, so CAN'T be a G506 Chevy 4x4

Last edited:

woodwalker

No dog in the fight but from the pictures it looks like a single rear axle.
Which would make it a 506 also bed looks like a latter addition.
not original

paulfarber

Where exactly is the third axle? I see two tires on each side. That would be 4x4. A 6x6 is 3 axles (I own a CCKW and an M35.. so I'm pretty sure that's how it works).

Also, the bed is wrong. There are not enough stake pockets for a Chevy OR a CCKW. I only see three. A G506/G508 had 5.

Also, can you make sense of what this means:

1942 Army Military original 1 1/2 ton 6X6 that is stone stock right down to the seat fabric and even still has the Army Stars and numbers on the hood. They produced lots of Dodge Military trucks

This is NOT Dodge... so after the sentence above, when I read Chevy 1.5 ton 6x6 I gotta laugh at the random ramblings of a Craigslist ad.

Now, if there IS a Chevy 6x6 1.5 ton truck, what G number was it ? Got any other pics? A link to some info?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Where exactly is the third axle? I see two tires on each side. That would be 4x4. A 6x6 is 3 axles (I own a CCKW and an M35.. so I'm pretty sure that's how it works).

Also, the bed is wrong. There are not enough stake pockets for a Chevy OR a CCKW. I only see three. A G506/G508 had 5.

Also, can you make sense of what this means:

1942 Army Military original 1 1/2 ton 6X6 that is stone stock right down to the seat fabric and even still has the Army Stars and numbers on the hood. They produced lots of Dodge Military trucks

This is NOT Dodge... so after the sentence above, when I read Chevy 1.5 ton 6x6 I gotta laugh at the random ramblings of a Craigslist ad.

Now, if there IS a Chevy 6x6 1.5 ton truck, what G number was it ? Got any other pics? A link to some info?
I agree with all of the above, I could not find a 3rd axle, though with the statement 6x6, I figured that the seller could count ???, so maybe no tires on the rear axle.

I could find NO menton of a chevy 1 1/2t 6x6 in my books, so if it were a 1 1/2t 6x6 and the rear axle got dropped to make a 4x4, then it would be really not worth a crap

Myopic

The seller wrote " They produced lots of Dodge Military trucks and you can find them all over the country. But there were very few GMC or Chevrolete units that survived past the 1960's let alone to the present day."

Maybe he figured the dually tires made it a 6x6 lol. But it kinda looks looks like theres a blanket over a front inner wheel.

Myopic

So , in the future, hypotheticly ,if i saw a clean 1952 m135 gmc with a plow for $1500 and wanted to share it with you what forum should that be posted in?

paulfarber

Having a critical eye when looking at ads that are posted by people with no real idea what they have is the key to separating the wheat from the chaff.

Price is way to high. This is a parts truck. $1500 TOPS and even that would depend on the engine bay condition, cab condition, brakes and how bad the frame is mangled by that bed.

Most sellers don't realize that buyers have the HUGE extra cost of hauling the truck home. So even IF this truck was 'original' (had the bed, spare tire carrier, fuel tank and all the other 'generally missing' parts) you have to tack on $1000-3000 to haul it. I've had to pass on many parts trucks that were more or less 'complete' simply becuase of shipping. There might be $1500 worth of parts, but there DEFINITELY NOT $4500 ($3000 hauling fee) in value.

That is the single largest detriment to selling large MVs that don't run. Your potential buyers base is local, unless you have a very rare truck (this is not one) or are selling at a very good price.

And as for the 3rd axle.... if you look, the splash guards clearly show the only rear axle. There is no way to mount a splash guard between the middle and rear axle.

This is a bubba'd up G506 Chevy that was most likely a farm vehicle (hay or some such) and most likely severely overloaded (1.5 tons is not much on a farm) so you would most likely have to check the frame and the axles much, much closer.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So , in the future, hypotheticly ,if i saw a clean 1952 m135 gmc with a plow for $1500 and wanted to share it with you what forum should that be posted in?
Send a pm to whoever you think is interested.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck was discussed on Steel Soldiers around April 2009. It was argued over at that time when it was for sale. Someone on site contacted the owner and he posted on SS about the truck. It is a 6x6 and what is hard to see in the shadows supposedly is the right rear outside dual is missing.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
11E,
How in the he11 can you REMEMBER back TWO years about a piece of crap truck that might not even be worth it to be used as a parts truck, let a-lone what the discussion was about, what ever drugs you are using to help your memory, can I have some because I'm working on hour to hour

Last edited:

KsM715

Send a pm to whoever you think is interested.

My solution. Start a thread in the appropriate vehicle forum that says,

"SteelSoldiers, I found a Mxxx for sale. Anyone interested send me a PM for contact info."

paulfarber

It very well could be a CCKW-353 FRAME but not the cab.

BUT:

The gas cap/filler is exactly where a Chevy one should be.
There is no CCKW fuel tank

Its all fun and games to try and decipher what it is from a poor quality photo from one angle.

But even if it IS G506 or G508, its NOT what the seller claims, and it NOT worth $6500 in this broke ass condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks