• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

differences in t-cases- are they really the same besides the

Monster Man

Well, I ran into a slight roadblock in my airshift swap. I got the output cover off, and without even unbolting the transfer case itself. BUT, it turns out you need more than just the output cover. INside the sprag case there is a set of gears, in the air case there are two clutches. I got the one clutch when I purchased the case cover, but I didn't get the other clutch I need. Probably should have reviewed the manual closer before I started, but I was assured I had absolutely EVERYTHING I needed.

Now my question concerns the poor drawings in the TM:

it says to just pull out the gear assembly (5), or just pull off the clutch(3 in picture 1) when you undo the set screw. This indicates to me that the two assemblies are external, meaning a shaft protrudes from the t-case itself on which these two mount. Well, I got my output cover off and along with it came the gear assembly, and a shaft, leaving a female hole in the case.

Now, on the air case, is there a shaft connected to the clutch shown? If not I'm screwed, as I don't see any way to get my shaft departed from the gear assembly. Am I missing something? Hopefully anybody who's seen the innards of both cases can give me the specifics.

and also, it appears I will just need to remove the gear (4), and put the plate back on with no gear for it to match the airshift, or is that a different part in the airshift case where the gear is in the sprag case?

Thanks!

Monster Man

well, after thinking about it a while, I think I am screwed. I don't see any spot on my case for any sort of set screw or safety wire-

If the clutch from the air case did have a shaft as shown on my set of gears there, how would it be held in place? Does this mean I need to take the whole set of gears for that output out of the innards of the t-case, becasue I assume those gears have a shaft that protrudes out and rides in a bearing, and the clutch set-screws to that?

I would REALLY like a photo of the inside of an air case, the drawings are very confusing and I can't tell what I need from them

thanks!

Monster Man

well, my fears were true :freaked:

the cases are NOT the same, as said the airshift has a different setup that goes into the case itself, not just the output cover. My case as you can see is left with a female hole when the sprag gear set is removed, the airshift has a solid shaft coming out of there that a clutch mounts on and is safety wired to. So, you have to get the whole air case if you want airshift. I'm talking with Dave about another option though.......

spicergear

Monster man, I got a guy that has a broken front housing on an airshift case and I may be getting the truck at some point. Might be interested in buying what air case cover and parts if you get to that point. Oh, if you can swing it, I really like my REB manual front engagement kit thats in my T-case. It's a Memphis Equipment unit and they are kinda proud of it, but it is completely manual with just a shifter stick for nice simple manual engagement. It's a gear correction kit too. I've found that I can bring in the front axle on the fly. Occasionally it will not want to pull back out. A simple bounce on the clutch in reverse and she pulls right out then. I *think* its around $400. Double check that price though...

Monster Man

thanks- that just so happens to be the other option I'm working on. The REB kit was my first choice, but at $482.51 for a set of gears and a shifter I wasn't impressed. Now I can see why they can charge so much.

I told Dave I didn't want to take the whole case out now that I've gotten so far, and I doubt the neighborhood would let me :)

Then that would still leave the airlines I'd need to mount, etc.

I spoke with Memphis Equipment about installing the kit, and they assured me it was installation by removing the output cover only and replacing the sprag with their gears. So where does the shifter mount on to the case? Does it use the same enagement rod/spring thing that was originally hooked to the transmission?

Have you looked under the cover to see what it consists of?

Dave at Eastern Surplus will check tomorrow, he thinks he had a case come in with the REB kit that I can swap him for, if so that's my ticket!!!

spicergear

Lee, I like to have a handle on things to have them work. Air and a properly adjusted sprag may be fine, but I want to manually shift it...it's just my personal preference.

Ahh, Dave's a good guy! Nice find...hope it works for ya!

I've not had any part of that T-case apart...oops, I did have the PTO on the back of it off to tighten up the bolt inside. The REB's shifter attaches to the right side of the transmission and goes back to *I think* the stock connection point for shifting the case. From the couple of REB kit installs I've seen, you'll need a stack of washers to shim the stick away from the transmission, or (what I did) cut the stick and reweld it to itself moving it toward the passenger side of the truck. I just simply cut a hole in the top of the tunnel pan with a simple notch in it. I just mounted a home brew lockout this past weekend. My last trip to the mill the shifter slid over and dropped itself into the notch and pulled the front axle in at 45mph...there's no problem with that but it makes more vibration than normal. My lockout is a simple Stanley door hinge that when layed flat and open, it covers the forward notch so the shifter can't slide into it. If I need to shift in the axle, I lean down, flip the hinge closed and give the shifter a nudge in the general direction and it slides right in.

Monster Man

sweet deal, Dave found the case he remembered seeing, it's got the shift lever so I asked that he pop the nose off and take a look at the gears. If that's the one I can then exchange my air case. My fingers are crossed.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks