• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1 voltage regulator

mcscoggins

The military service manual TM9-8014 (p. 166-7) shows the M38A1 voltage regulator bolted to a mounting base with 4 braided ground straps, one on each corner, connecting to the base. My 1964 USMC M38A1 has the regulator bolted directly to a flat painted metal panel (no intermediate base as shown in the manual) and there are no ground straps. There is also no cover over the regulator like the one shown in the manual. Was the design changed at some point after the manual was printed, or has someone altered the layout of my jeep?

Last edited:

mcscoggins

That's exactly what the manual shows. I understand the late model USMC variety had some significant modifications to the original 1950s contract. Yours is looking pretty good, I'm trying to do a functional restore because I don't have the funds to go whole hog. Are you in SC?

Oilleaker1

It sounds like you have the newer solid state regulator without the domed cover. The ground straps and rubber mounts were to protect the unit from vibration damage. I'd keep the solid state but find the rubber mount system and put it on. John

mcscoggins

VR grounds

Thanks John. I'm assuming that proper grounding of the VR case is still important? I'm going to pull mine and dress the grounds because I doubt it's making good contact right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks