• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3..2..1..Eureka!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally delivered that heavy laundry trailer to Mike Popovitch here in Nevada.
Counted down the miles before arriving here in Eureka.
The long up-mountain drives began to get to me (and the deuce), 20-25 mph in 3rd gear for ten minutes at a time over and over again. I-80 only looks level on the map. :) Highest elevation about 7.000 ft. Don't think I went below 4,000 ft since driving into Wyoming/Utah/Nevada, perhaps not Colorado either...

Used the exhaust brake several times and could relax driving down hill on 6% grades, just a tap now and then on the service brakes to keep the speed down. Back pressure was about 30 psi.

Mike is letting me stay here for a day or two, so I'll check out the deuce...think I noticed a clutch slip a couple of times... :-(

Shifting up ad down between 3rd and 4th was not the easiest with a loaded deuce/trailer, the ratios are too far apart IMHO.

More later,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the hardest part of the trip is over Bjorn. The long mountain grades will feel like bumps now that the load of anvils has been delivered. The cranetruck certainly earned its keep on this drive. What was the final diagnosis on the truck? Was it that injector causing all the grief? Godspeed my brother!

Jones

You'll fly like the wind now, Bjorn. The deuce will probably feel like a sports car. Steepest grades will be west of Reno, Nev.(4498' elev.) into Truckee, Calif.(5899' elev.), then west out of Truckee up the Donner Summit (7K' elev.) Everything else will be pretty much downhill into Sacramento (86' elev.)
Looking forward to seeing you when you hit town.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your continued support!

Helped Mike lift a trailer among other things and managed to burst a hydraulic line on the crane. Small town and an "auto parts" store within walking distance fixed the problem. The line and another fitting will have to be replaced at a later date.

Later in the afternoon Mike took me for a ride to several local abandoned mining sites in his most impressive 1300 Unimog.
Got lots of pictures, but can't upload them from here.

I'll be leaving for Reno on Saturday morning and should be knocking on Leonardo's (Jones) door some time Sunday morning.

Jones

Bjorn,
Good that you'll be getting over the hill before too late in the holiday weekend. Otherwise the drive west can be a big pain.
If you'll give me the dimensions and fitting types I can have a hydraulic hose made up and waiting for you. Otherwise it'll be Tuesday before the shops open up again. Let me know before too late Friday. Call me on my cell.
Leonard

Bjorn,
When one is driving a regular vehicle between Cheyenne, Salt Lake, and Reno on I-80 I guess one does not notice the hills as much as in a fully loaded Deuce. It is the same when I ride my bicycle on some roads that looked "rather flat" in the truck. "Wheeze, wheeze, wheeze!!" What was I thinking?!

Sent you a PM. Hoping to see you but chances getting slimmer looking at the arrival timing.

There's some real pretty country between Reno and Sacramento for sure. You'll be going slow enough to enjoy it.

Good luck on your journey and still hoping to see you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Arrived at Leonard's place a couple of hours ago. Today's driving was delayed by the oil leak issue, the drain from the bellhousing vent is not getting better and I stopped every 20-30 miles or so to add oil. Coming down into California I stopped at the rest areas and ended up taking hydraulic oil from the crane tank fot use in the engine...

I'm now pulled up behind Leonard's "Baby Hemtt" in his driveway. He has offered to help me fix the problem once and for all and the hunt begins for parts and procedures.
He also had the hydraulic hose/fittings ready when I arrived, great guy, what else can I say?

Leonard's truck is very much more impressive in real life, let me tell you! That baby is big and some first class machining work.

Looks like the trip will be delayed another day or so, again....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite a feat to get from the right side of the country to the left side in a deuce. Although not without glitches, still gotta hand it to you Bjorn. After doing that trip, running back & forth between VA GA and FL will seem like local trips. Leonards place is probably among the best places to be to fix the problem.

Deuceswild

Bjorn,

This is just a thought which I have been pondering about your oil leak situation, is it possible that your Racor crankcase breather filter needs to be cleaned / drained.,,, again just a thought but if became partially blocked or obstructed your crankcase will find the path of least resistance to evacuate the vapors / pressure,,,, and quite possibly push the rear main out.,

Just a thought.

Good Luck.

Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on it Bjorn, no answer at the phone but left a message and PM. As soon as I get the number, it will be posted or Mike may even post it.
Kenny

devilman96

Napa... CR seal PN's ... 49927 is made of Fluoroelastomer, which is a better seal material but may not be commonly available. 49929 is a Nitrlle seal lip, more commonly available.

Dimensions Shaft size 5" OD 6.007 Width is .500

OEM Seal is a National Seal PN 476801H

Shoot that truck already LOL

A note about crank case pressures... That seal is pressurized by the oil system when running and if its a leakin... its a LEAKIN no matter the CC pressures...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, we'll try to get a new seal tomorrow or at least by Tuesday.
The crankcase filter was bypassed this morning since I didn't have a replacement filter element. My thoughts went along the lines of yours, Jeff, but didn't solve the oil drain problem.

A couple of things I have learned during this trip (besides what great friends you all are), a little problem around town becomes a big problem when away from home and the importance of being able to diagnose new sounds, leaks etc.

I have added a number of features to my deuce and most are working as they are supposed to. Little things, like a relay in the turn signal circuit to drastically reduce the strain on the turn signal flasher unit has worked perfectly and those flashers have been used a lot! 4-way flashers up every mountain climb.

Well, that will have to to for now.
Later,

Opie

Having flown from Washington Dulles to Denver to Colorado Springs and back this weekend and suffered through the joys of security along the way ($2.00 a bottle Cokes in the beyond-the-xray machine stores/lost $27 lip gloss from the purse at security (chill guys, it belonged to the Mrs. :) )/govennment issued ID and boarding pass checks twice prior to each security stop/notices in our luggavge that they'd been hand-checked again and again), I expect it will be less hassle driving the deuce or taking Amtrak cross-country than flying.

Safe continued travels, Cranetruck! Looking for your safe return to the Blue Ridge.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We found the seal (49927) at a local NAPA believe it or not, so we are ready to take the transmission out for starters. I'll report our progress.
Thanks Kenny and devilman for providing part numbers!

ida34

We need to add that part number to the part number exchange list. That is if it has not already been done.

Oops. Already there. Was it already there or did someone put it up really quick.

:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks