• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953? PowerWagon: MV or Civvy?? w/pics

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have stumbled upon a Dodge PowerWagon doing stationary duty as a WINCH for an Overhead Hoist.

Stopped by yesterday with the camera and took the pics shown.

There was a guy on site (not the owner) who thought she's a 1953(?) with a flathead 6 cylinder engine that was rebuilt "just a few years ago", and he says "she's not really roadworthy".

Her NDT tires are badly dry-rotted. I GOOGLE'd "1953 Power Wagon" and I see that NDT Tires are common on "Civvy" trucks.

From what I can tell via GOOGLE Images is that a Military version would have the vertical fold-down style windshield and "squared" doors, making them "M37" models. but the "Flat" (two dimensional contoured) fenders make me wonder if it might be military. Yet the headlights do not appear to be utilitarian military style.

They only use the winch to hoist "stuff" off pickups and trailers.

The interior is in similar condition to the exterior - needing LOTS of TLC.

There are operational decals (that look "militaristic") on the glove box door, but nothing that I recogize as a Military Data Plate.

THEREFORE -
Can anyone educate me on this vehicle?
ANY information would be helpful.
I'm considering making an offer - Any value estimates?
(If I offerd to swap an electric hoist, I think I could snag it :shock:)

Thanks ! ! !

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a civilian Power Wagon. They have been used the world over for industrial, logging, drilling, and other work-related applications. Very cool find.

It may not look like much, but restored those bring GOOD money. I'd definitely try and save it by swapping an electric hoist. Then cut off the rest of the crap, and list on dodgepowerwagon.com. Those guys will eat it up.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Some were bought by the military to be used aound the bases. I am with maddawg on this, they are very collectable.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Capt.Marion

VERY collectible. Almost identical drivetrain to the M37, just 12V.

I'd kill to have one of these-they are great looking trucks. Post it over on powerwagonadvertiser.com ... they'll snap it right up.

Superdave

That truck is at least a 1961-68 model by looking at how the front grill sticks out about 1" past the upper rad shroud and the box that has the flat top on the sides that came out about 1955. It also has the larger 251ci engine in it compared to the 230ci of the earlier models.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a 1961 truck or after, it is probably a WM300 model. That was the last flat-fender Power Wagon made by Dodge.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...
After some negotiation and haggling.... and generous offer - I have found that emotional attachment is stronger than CASH or even a NEW Electric Winch.

The story is that the PowerWagon has been in the family for a LONG time, and the owner says: "Someday I might just fix it up myself." (Actually, I'm not sure he knows where the title is.)

Oh, well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I left him with a good offer and he knows how and where to find me if he changes his mind. I'll stay in touch with him and give a gentle nudge when he seems in a good mood.

<sigh>

TGP (IL)

"Will restore it someday" is the favorite line,and I'm sure they always have good intentions,But,
99% of the time the vehicle in question rots into the ground,before that happens.
A real shame!

Here's my 47 that I saved/Restored.
Tom

Attachments

m880 unimog

WC,s are favourite looking dodge-great find there CW- really enjoyed all the pictures-

....i,d be camped out around that truck-plagueing the guy:p

and that '47 is a BEAUTY

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a beautiful unrestored one sitting in a salvage yard here in Cheyenne. (no rust too).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks