• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rotate M103 hitch ring?

sua_sponte_rgr

I bough a M103A3 that I'm going to use to haul wood, coal, gravel, whatever, behind my pickup. When I picked up the trailer someone suggested rotating the hitch ring on the trailer so that it would be lower and that way I would not have to have such a high receiver on the back of my truck. I got the nut that holds the hitch ring to the trailer off but I can't get the hitch ring loose to rotate it. Does any one have any suggestions? Can the hitch ring even be rotated?

The M103A3 was a wood working unit which had a couple of fitted toolboxes and a gas can holder and a radial arm saw in the back. I don't need these, does anyone have any idea what there worth. If any one is interested, local pickup only, PM me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some swift hits on the top of the lunette should break it loose. Pity your taking apart a carpenters trailer, they are quite neat. Wish I was nearby, would work out a swap for a regular M105 trailer.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: need a bigger hammer

Don't you have to move the lunette forward to rotate, as it has a locking tab of sorts on it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You do have to move it fwd. its on a tapered fit. Since its in its high position, i would strike the neck right behind the lunette and at a 45° angle towards the ring. I've been able to remove everyone I've tried in this manner, even the 1953 XM105E3.

sua_sponte_rgr

Thanks Recovry4x4 & clinto for the help. I finally got the hitch lose. I chained the trailer to a tree and ran a 4-ton come-along from the hitch to another tree. I made sure to put the hitch washer and nut back on a good 8-10 threads to prevent the hitch from flying out. I winched the come-along as much as I dared and alternating adding heat (all i had was a soldering torch) to the frame and pounding the hitch. It finally came loose after two hours. I cleaned up everything with WD-40 and a green scrub pad, added a liberal coat of anti seize and put it back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks