• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank ID

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's Soviet, the lines aren't matching up with any of the T-55 to T-90 series tanks. However, the back end of it resembles the new T-95 series tanks. Not sure if the Russkies are selling those to countries yet.

Perhaps it is a Com-Bloc self-propelled arty piece?

Metternacht

I don't believe it is a Tank, but is in fact a self propelled artillery piece. Can't quite nail down the type.

Second photo shows the back end. definitely self propelled howitzer.

Ok, I ID the vehicle, I believe it is a Palmaria 155mm Tracked Self propelled howitzer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nen8nTp-AX4

Link to a Libyan military parade that has been annotated.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirmed. It's a Palmaria Self-Propelled Howitzer, 155mm. It is Italian in construction, except for the chassis which is based on the French LeClerc main battle tank. According to Wikipedia, 210 were ordered by Libya in 1982, and prior to the recent military action, 160 were still in Libyan service.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep the barrel in the background of my pic matches up to those pictures. No matter, looks like scrap metal now.

"except for the chassis which is based on the French LeClerc main battle tank" which gets back to the main part in the 1st picture looking like a tank.

Last edited:

AGE|kshaufl

I could be wrong but I believe that it is a Soviet 2S1 Gvozdika (M1974) 122mm Self-Propelled howitzer.

Commonly known as the 2S1 Carnation. These were sold off to whom ever wanted them.

Elwenil

Actually, while it does look very similar to the LeClerc, it's based on the OTOBREDA OF-40 MBT. It actually has more in common with the Leopard 1 than the LeClerc and shares a lot of components with the Leopard. Note the 7 road wheels versus the LeClerc's 6.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks