• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M27 Bomb Truck

paulfarber

Do you know enough about M27s yourself to be able to ID the parts that should be there?

I don't place a super high premium on variants as the parts that are most likely missing will be a biatch to find 'in the wild'

So you may never actually find them and be stuck with a truck that is little more than a CCKW with a goofy add on.

I passed on a fuel truck CCKW about 3 years ago that was reasonably priced, but was missing all of the pump/hose/reel apparatus. I knew that the odds of finding a complete apparatus was slim to none. Would LOVED to have gotten it, but it would be a CCKW with a big tank that was useless.

paulfarber

Without pics value cannot be given accurately.. or even inaccurately.

It would help if you can get a frame SN number, engine pics, cab pics and if there is a data plate(s) those also.

Just showing 4 sides will not be a much value. The VALUE is in the details. Post as much as you can.

captain-crank

I don't place a super high premium on variants

........be stuck with a truck that is little more than a CCKW with a goofy add on.

This is my favorite

......value cannot be given accurately.. or even inaccurately.
WOT......

I am with the Farb on this one, it's a POS, too hard to find parts, not worth the fuel to go pick it up.
I'll bet someone painted the steering wheel and the carb is wrong, stick with what you know, the sky is falling............... so where is it?

paulfarber

What good is a fuel tanker without the reels, pumps and hoses?

I am not saying they are WITHOUT value, but not as much as a most people think.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Who cares if its part of a truck or most of a truck. It needs to be saved. Don't let it go to the can maker.
Or maybe it might have the ONE part that someone is looking for, thank you for bring it up so at least It is know about.

Just because someone thinks a restore is worthless unless it is 110% correct, does not mean everybody does. Your truck, do what you want with it, but don't bad mouth a find someone else found or there way of doing there truck.
We have all said "maybe for parts" but saying worthless ?????

THIS NEGATIVITY IS GETTING OLD

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'll get some pics up but I can't promise it will save the thread from its own worthlessness. It is an open cab and it came off an AFB out west.
NOT A WORTHLESS THREAD, If you could identify it as a m27, then there was something on the truck that led you to that conclusion, a data plate, bed, ect., even if not complete, someone is looking for THAT part, for there m27, being a m27 IS NOT a everyday CCKW, out of the 500,000+ CCKWs, how many m27s, not a lot, so this makes EVERY m27 PART worth saving

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know i was just kidding. I'm not positive it is a real bomb truck. I didn't even know there was a cckw bomb truck until recently.
What led you to think it is m27 ?????????, this is after I supported you on your find. aua

Last edited:

Wayofftrack

What led you to think it is m27
The owner told me it was a bomb truck and it has the bomb hoist on it like a gtb only bigger. I'm just not sure yet if the winch is behind the cab like it should be. Maybe it is really one of the wrecker sets since they look very similar to the bomb truck.

Wayofftrack

Love that popcorn smilie too. It has the winch in back so I'm gonna make an offer, i'll let you know how it turns out. At that point the beer mug smilie will kick in.......hopefully.

paulfarber

hehehehehe

Hating the guy with common sense is easier than apologizing for the rash and bitter statements they have made.

As to 'saving the truck because someone may need a part' that is a noble statement. I wish I could have save the dozen+ trucks I have gotten parts off becuase I knew at some point someone would need a bracket or minor part.

But the costs involved are much to high (hauling back home being the largest expense in acquiring a CCKW). WHo here is going to pay $1000+ for a hulk, then $2500 to haul it home because someone might need a $100 used fender?

I bought and hauled an H1 from FL to PA. Put over $2200 into the transaction. I figured that an H1 was uncommon enough to save. Well, the parts supply for H1 is almost nill. And it sat for 3 years. I finally DID sell the frame and dump portion from the cab back (I torch cut the frame right behind the cab). So I still have a rear bogey than the font cab portion rusting away. How many people are looking for axles? Or springs? Some things just don't break. In the end the ONLY valuable part was the hoist subframe and even then I could only get $500 for it.

DO I think that someone needs M27 parts? Probably. Is someone going to pay enough for it to break even on the transaction? No. You might get lucky and find a buyer an hour or two away, but if any shipping is involved you can EASILY DOUBLE what you already have into it.

So, while its nice to circle the wagons and save every CCKW out there, its simply a pipe dream to do so. And even if someone does, what is the result? It rusts away in a different field?

I've spoken to 'the big three' CCKW vendors... and they all agree when they tell me that there is no money in hoarding chassis in hopes for parting them out. The parts that people need are rarely on them, and even if they are their sale price never covers the expense.

So, bottom line... do what you want. Do I think you can restore it? NO. DO I think you can profit from the sale of its parts? NO. Is it sad that an agreeably rare truck might become paper clips? YES.

And we still have no idea what it looks like... or now even if its an M27 at all. Could be just a farmer mod that bolted a lift of some sort on the back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks