• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel puller

dougimes

Got stopped dead in my tracks tonight.

The A1 I am restoring was in pretty good shape, not to look at, but mechanically. I got used to finding things in better shape than I expected.

Started on hubs and brakes a few days ago, they are a mess. Front hubs were very difficult to get off, drums badly rusted on the inside, might not be salvagable.

Rear hubs will not come off with my home-made puller. Has anyone bought a legit wheel puller recently? where did you get it, how much did it cost?

any tricks to getting rears off?

Attachments

natem

I have had mine so long i could not say cost. But most auto part stores can order one for you.
It should be a three leg puller with adapter so you can strike it with a hammer. don't get cheap on this tool and it will serve you well for many years.

Nate

natem

Midwest military has them also. (sorry john should have thought of you)

I hope we have been of some help, and get to see some pictures along the way.

Nate

dougimes

Ug, I hate taking a beating.

Borrowed the pictured puller. seemed substantial enough. Didn't budge either wheel. They are tight on there. Tried a little heat, and some tapping with a 2 lb hamer.

no progress. Got my but kicked.

Looks like some of the pullers you guys show are better.

Attachments

dougimes

Did make a little forward progress. Got the front drums over to Ken, he is an old Vietnam vet who has a little machine shop, does great work.

He turned them for me. They were pretty bad, but had never been turned before, so there was plenty of drum to deal with .

Bearings and races from napa, $32 each bearing, 17 each race. ouch.

Have everything I need to finish the front wheels,

am axious to get the rears apart to know what I am dealing with.

Fronts did not have the inner seal, which is probably why they were so rusted.

Thanks for all the help.

natem

You need the puller we showed, it has a adapter that allows the use of a hammer.
That is the only way to get the taper fit hubs to brake loose from the shaft.
As my granddad always said "if that don't work get a bigger hammer"

Nate

SturmTyger380

Doug, Got the hub puller in the trunk and will call you at work and drop it off. Too bad I did not check my e-mail before the MHCC club meeting we were both at on Sat.

Alan

dougimes

Now un-stopped.

Thanks to Alan Spearman and the right tool. imoveable object (taperboar), irresitable force (Alan's puller).

When it finally gave, it sounded like a .22 shot. Holy smokes. The other tool was not anywhere close to getting the job done.

Gentlemen, anyone reading this post in the future. The picture below IS the right tool.

With the hub off, bearings good, drum salvagable, all new brake parts. What I expected.

In another month, we will be doing:

Complete Mechanical Systems Check, Mech Check for short (what us northerners call it)
Yard Driving (what my southern pals call it)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks