• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel chainsaws?

NEIOWA

SEE has a hyraulic chain saw.

Good question though. DOD is replacing EVERYTHING that uses MOGAS with equipment that can burn JP8.

Blake

military chain saw

Check out my 1968 remington military chain saw. Has all the data plates and even has the waterproof spark plug wire like the truck!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: military chain saw

Bring me that saw! Is it 4 stroke? Looks heavier than a sack of anvils!

Blake

chain saw

its a 2 cycle. It is very heavy. You ought to try to cut with it. It has the one-half inch pitch chain. You have to be a real man to operate it, set the spike by the motor in the log and let it eat. It really throws out big chunks of wood for chips.

I tied it to the front just to look cool. You run into these dummies while you are driving it always ask, "Did that chain saw come on the front of the truck?". I always ask them when they bought their wallet, was it already full of money and credit cards? They dont realize you buy a basic truck, redo it, and then acessorize it as you see fit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: chain saw

Blake, where did you find that? I'd love to have a hawg like that to put beside my little mickey mouse saws.

Blake

chainsaw

It came into my shop for repair. It was never picked up and I assumed ownership....

Thats was probably 5 years ago and never heard back from the man.

NEIOWA

RE: chainsaw

My dad had a saw much like that when I was a kid (late 60s). Had about a 30" bar. I'll bet it is still in the factory shipping box. I don't remember what brand was. He only used it a couple times a year and usually had to spend 2 days getting it to start each time. Long before todays mass produced suburbanite saws. My brother and I were always big time excited when dad got eht chain saw out (after a storm/tree down to clean up). Probably is a collecitble item now.

Armada

RE: chainsaw

My gramps had some kind of big man-eater saw too. Seems like it had something like a 5 foot bar. Big ass engine on one end with a handle on the other end for soldier B. The 2 guys it took to operate it needed to be built like a brick $hit house too, it weighed a ton!

Blake

Blake

Armada: Bring me your deuce to close out the 5 years worth of storage charges. As always, make sure you bring the claim ticket

Mathias

Diesel saws do exist, although probably not in the US military or any other military for that matter. The link below (if I entered it correctly) is an article explaining some of the history behind the diesel saws.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...2bbf7691752bc9c088256c29004f9fef?OpenDocument

Blake, nice looking Remington BTW. I have a couple of civilian Remingtons that vintage, nothing green though....

Armada

Nice saw Blake! Did you restore it or did it come to you in that condition? Can't believe someone would not bother to pick it up!!!
As long as we're showing saw pics, here's one of my Husky. This was from last deer season. Had a blizzard in the Mich. U.P. and it took a good couple days of cutting to get out of the woods. The Husky rode shotgun for the week.
For more pics: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3310

Attachments

Blake

The saw needed some major repairs and some help from some civilian donors for internal parts. The outside (body wise) was in good shape just needed a major cleaning. The hardest part was finding enough new chain to make a good chain that fit the bar/sprocket. Ive got another that is the same size engine but has a smaller pitch chain and shorter bar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks