• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stump the experts question of the day

dougimes

Here is one for you,
Does anyone know why the inner pulley on an m38/38a1 water pump pulley is a larger effective diameter than the outer pulley.

The outer pulley has a deeper V allowing the belt to ride deeper, making it a smaller effective diameter.

you might be able to make out the difference in the attached photo

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there a reason that there were two grooves? Are there supposed to be two belts, one for engine operation and one for something else?

If not, I'm guessing the reason for two belt grooves, one slightly longer than the other in effective diameter, maybe if you have a drive belt too loose/tight you have the option of utilizing the other groove to get your engine running without re-tuning the engine?

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is that back then matched sets of
belts may have been less plentiful and this would work better if there was one a little longer. As I recall these Jeeps were 25 amp systems so 2 belts were preferred. I have not seen a 100 amp setup on these jeeps but they may have had such an animal for radio jeeps.
popacom /:jumpin:/BILL in KY:driver:

11ACR-LT

I'm not an expert either, I went out in the garage and looked at my '51 M38 and the grooves on the water pump pulley are the same and match the gen. and crank pulley. they were designed for duel belts. If my memory is correct the civi water pumps had different pulleys ( the narrow groove was used to run an aux pump?)

natem

I'm not an expert either, I went out in the garage and looked at my '51 M38 and the grooves on the water pump pulley are the same and match the gen. and crank pulley. they were designed for duel belts. If my memory is correct the civi water pumps had different pulleys ( the narrow groove was used to run an aux pump?)

Ding..Ding...Ding, I think you have it. At least it sounds good. But I'm not an expert

dougimes

that smacks of a right answer. If you ran dual belts on the pully I have, it would wear one belt or the other.

I somewhere along the way, the pully was replaced.

wonder what it was intended to run? Did cj's ever have power stearing or brakes?

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think some early 60's vintage CJ-5's did have the option of pwr. steering. I am not real familiar with all the available combos in these Jeeps but as I remember the CJ-3B also ran the overhead engine(F-Head) as used in the M-38A1. I have also seen these motors in some of the FC jeeps as well. popacom/:driver:

Oilleaker1

My '52 A1 has the 4 groove pulley and 100 amp system and they are all the same. At a idle when the alternator kicks in, it pulls the engine down and you have to idle it up to keep it running. What a beast. No wonder they have a Warning of death by shock on the antenna. My '51 M38 looks to have the same belts and pulley size on the 2 belt 28 volt setup. Have you got the wrong pulley or is one worn more than the other?? My new water pump pulley I took off to put the 4 groove on is also the same. ??? John

dougimes

let me shoot a better picture. Interesting mystery. The pulley looks original.

Here is what is known about the jeep.
made in 54
rebuilt carb, axles, engine, gen at fort jax in 67
military road tag on windshield 1979
clutch or stuck valve took it out of service circa 1982
stored by a civilain under a hip roof until 2005
sold to a NC sherif
traded to settle a debt in 2010
sold to me in 2010

No civilains worked on it . you can tell because nothing molested or done in non military fassion.

pvtjorge

The pulley that has two different size grooves was used on vehicles with a govenor.

the M38 & M38A1 have two grooves, but are the same size for the generators purpose.
It is physically a large generator yet only rated at 25 amps. I talking about the factory setup.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks