• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Bleeding

spicergear

When I got my truck the brakes were fine, half pedal and hard. When I changed motors I happened to pinch the front brake line and it cracked when I tried to round it out again. I replaced that line and tried to bleed the brakes. Pedal has been soft ever since. Any proven methods aside from the military's 'bleeder ball' I've been told to use? I was thinking about trying one of those hand vacuum pumps attached to the bleeder and try that way.

THANKS!

Westech

CPL
ok now this is not the most safe way but its what we do at the shop when we have problems bleeding brakes. 1st block the wheels, set the parking brake. fill the master to the max fill line. start the truck, let air build up psi. start fron the far most bleeder from the master. ( most of the time right rear ) pump the brakes 3 times and hold. *yell ok* (you) o yeah takes 2 people. open the bleeder till the peddel goes 1/2 to 3/4 the way down.* yell ok*(you) (DO NOT GO TO THE FLOOR!!!!!!!! DONT DO THIS YOU CAN TARE THE CUPS IN THE MASTER CYLINDER!!!) that means shut the bleeded. shut the bleeder. *yell ok * (person undet the truck) do this 5 times and check the fluid in the master, DO NOT GO DRY AIR WILL ENTER THE SYSTEM AND COULD TARE THE CUPS . Do this as many times as it takes till clean clear fluid comes out. do each wheel till you have clean clear fluid. work your way from the far most bleeder to the closest. right rear,left rear, right rear front, left rear front,right front,left front. good luck to all and to all a good night. :yeah:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[4][green]It's been my experience that the agitation of manual bleeding causes air entrapment in the silicone fluid. Bleeding has always been a pain for me. Sometimes it helps to bleed 2 days in a row with the extra time to allow the air to pocket. Even though there is no bleeder, I always loosen the line and bleed the master first then the air pack. My latest dealings have been using speed bleeders. They work great! I've even put them on my semi trailer. The other big help is a power bleeder. Don't want to spend the big money? No problem, use a typical gallon garden sprayer. Remove the existing hose and nozzle/valve. Use your own hose setup with a little ball valve on it. I have an extra deuce MC cap with a barbed nipple on it to attach the hose to. Put 1/2 gallon of the purple juice in and pump it up and you've got a powerbleeder. Just keep watching that see through jug to make sure you don't run the bleeder dry. Powerbleeding on a budget![/green][/4]

spicergear

Maybe this is a little late...what type of fluid should I be using?

With the garden sprayer thing do you just crack the bleeder then and it's already a pressurized system? That's what I'm getting from that.

I'm going to look up speed bleeders now. Hmmm, what size thread are our bleeders?

Has anyone used a hand vac thing on a deuce?

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[3][green]The bleeders are 7/16x20. The garden sprayer had a little pump doohickey built into the handle. Once you fill it up just pump that sucker up a bit ond go to town. The hose is attached to the lower edge of the bottle. If your truck is military than it's most likely silicone. If its been in civilian hands or at an FD it might have been changed. Take a little out and try to mix it with water. That should tell you what you have. [/green][/3]

spicergear

Well this idea might win me a Darwin Award. I've got a small electric fuel pump that I had bolted to the bell of the CAT when I first got it so I could run it with a line straight out of a plastic tank. It ought to pump brake fluid and maybe hold 4psi in the line. After I can run some diesel through it to clean it. We'll see!!!

rdixiemiller

Try a small paint pressure pot. They are cheap used, and would work just fine. I just bought a new 2 1/2 gallon unit complete for $225. I have seen a lot of them sell for 20 bucks in the past.
Regards
Robert Miller

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks