• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1942 Deuce, BMT, TX/ story on it?

txdodge43man

No Idea here I know some MV collectors in Beaumont I will have to ask them but I can say the fuel tank is wrong and the Bed looks funny to me. got any more pictures?

paulfarber

Seems I don't have to as the second post stepped up to the challenge.

I wonder what the chain going under the frame is for.

44CCKW

M35 bed,Some type of home made fuel tank and 900X20 tires on it.The truck looks to be a early 42 model only because of the GMC badge on the grille.If it runs and drives,A CCKW is worth it in any condition.

waayfast

I agree with the above--we can quibble all day on whether it is not perfect in everyway today but sometime in the near future we will wish someone would have saved even the nuts and bolts that attached the grill guard on a wwii CCKW!

Just like the Warbird community has found.Years ago that aluminum junk seemed to be everywhere and in the way to boot.(Dating myself here, but I remember as a kid growing up in Las Vegas watching a news story about Boeing B-17's for sale down at Kingman AZ for $2000.00 a piece, for all you wanted) And, no Dad and Mom didn't buy even one:evil:!

paulfarber

The front end (frame to bumper gussets) are gone. That's going to be a PITA to fix simply becuase you have to find a person willing to cut them off the truck they are selling.

As for the GMC logo that's not really a tell. WWWAAYYYYY to many people have added the logo to a truck that never had one. They had to be removed by mid-42... its the reason why the Fords script tailgate was removed from the jeep.

We've been told that the logo was on production trucks trough early 43... but no one knows really how many... all of production? Ever third unit on odd Tuesdays?. Plus field units were supposed to knock them off.

Motorcar

Just got in from work, a couple of things about it from what I remember; The badge plate under the dash on the firewall has a 8/1942 build date by Yellow Truck Co., The bed looked to be replaced to me also, the gas engine is in it and looks complete with carb and all misc parts from what I could see. The driveshafts and gear boxs all there and it seems as if it were driven there, and yes the big chain is tied to a light pole! It is downtown in a big parking lot. I thought maybe it belonged to someone here on SS and we might get the story.

paulfarber

Is it the original engine or has it been replaced?

I mean absolutely no disrespect by this... but do you know what an 8/42 GMC engine should look like compared to say a late 43 or even a 44? There were 10 different engine configurations for the CCKW. 17 if you count DUKWs and AFKWXs .

Easiest way to tell is if the engine is OD, then its a replacement. I believe that most engine models past late 43 are not worth worrying about... but the 42's and early 43s are unique enough to increase the value of a CCKW.

Pics would greatly help.

Motorcar

No disrespect taken, I don't know anything about these trucks. I went back by there today and took a look at the badge plate under the dash, it does say General Motors Truck, built 8-42, Yellow Truck and Motorcoach Mnfg, I think, didn't write it down. I didn't go poking around under the hood again, feel funny about digging around in someone elses truck without permission. Still looks neat even if it's not period correct.

paulfarber

The closed cabs have that classic 30's truck look. I kinda wish I had gotten a closed cab with a winch but my mid 43 open cab is a keeper.

Who knows.. under the bonnet may be a factory original GMC270.. decals and all.

Darwin T

if i get out of jury duty early enough wednesday i can swing by the fire museum, i would guess it was donated to them. then hit HOOTERS on the way back. it's a tough job but someone has to do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks