• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Met another Vietnam chopper pilot today

wgtactical

I got a chance to meet and talk with Tom A Johnson, A Vietnam chopper pilot who wrote a book called "To the Limit". Really an interesting guy and regrettably agent orange is finally taking it's toll on him. Glad to have been able to shake his hand

"Tom A. Johnson flew the UH-1 “Iroquois” — better known as the “Huey” — in the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion of the First Air Cavalry Division. From June 1967 through June 1968, he accumulated an astonishing 1,600 flying hours (1,150 combat and 450 noncombat). His battalion was one of the most highly decorated units in the Vietnam War and, as part of the famous First Air Cavalry Division, helped redefine modern warfare. With tremendous flying skill, Johnson survived rescue missions and key battles that included those for Hue and Khe Sanh and operations in the A Shau and Song Re valleys, while many of his comrades did not. His heartfelt and riveting memoir will strike a chord with any soldier who ever flew in the ubiquitous Huey and any reader with an interest in how the Vietnam War was really fought."

Last edited:

wgtactical

I was fortunate enough to have him drop in (unannounced) to the shop and look at the vehicles we've done...then he gave me a copy of his book and autographed it. I'm really grateful8)

Attachments

68t

Thanks for the great post. They were the best. My aviation unit had vietnam pilot,s , then they went on to the blackhawks, and the 58d, They also flew in Iraq and A-stan. This was the early part of this war. Great folks

Katahdin

This thread made me think of a daughter of a KIA pilot I had worked and been friends with years ago. She had been born while her dad was in Vietnam and was barely a month old when he was killed. She had a real hard time with it when she turned 27, because that meant she had outlived her father.

Their story unfortunately gets worse, a few years later in 2003 she died of an aneurysm.

Thanks to the web I was able to find out later that the mother had traveled to the Vietnam crash site and sprinkled some of her daughter's ashes there. Her other ashes were placed with her father's grave in Arlington.

To this day I feel terrible for the mother.

fuzzyone28

My grand father flew HH-43 Huskies at Bien Hoa air base 64 to 65 and was wounded in a motar attack in November 64. But since he died in 1972 I have never had the chance to meet another Veitnam pilot ; untill I had the pleasure to attend an aviation maintenance course last semester with a pilot named Lance Stewart, (Graet Guy) who was the 229th maintenance officer and, severed with Tom. His name is in To The Limit on page 77 and 150.

As a pilot my self I am amazed by what they experianced. I am trying get picked up for the WOFT program, and hope I can live up to high standards they have set.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks