• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Build a WW1 Fighter replica for less then the price of a sedan!

linx310

For the past year or so I have noticed a lot of WW1 planes flying around my local area and thought it was the CAF.

Well come to find out it is some locals who bought replica kits and put them together in their garage. You can't even tell they are kits. And they disassemble for travel on a trailer.

These kits uses modern materials and engines and are much safer and perform better then the originals, and depending on the type of engine you use, or whether you buy original gauges or use replicas, cost around $12k-$40k. They are considered LSA due to the weight so the license renewal is a lot easier.

The basic kits cost about $6k-$8k, the engine, depending on whether you go for a VW engine ($1-2k) or an expensive Rotec Radial really dictates the cost. They even sell the kits in stages so you can build a stage while saving for another.

There are some forums with lots of people taking pictures of their builds.

The Sopwith kit they have looks amazing.

Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO

[media]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5065669/sopwith_camel_ww_1_replica_by_airdrome_aeroplanes/[/media]IMHO this beats buying a SUV any day!

Last edited:

AgeOfDarkness94

"as someone once told me: aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. it is however highly unforgiving to even the slightest of errors."

If you die in a plane crash then it was your fault. even if the engine or structure has multiple flaws, these things come to a head under scrutiny and inspection. PREFLIGHT PREFLIGHT PREFLIGHT. In fact, operator error is the #1 cause of crashes according to the NTSB. so as always, practice, examine, evaluate, re-examine, practice some more THEN fly.

Did I mention to preform preflight checks? :lol:

anyway, the Camel has long been in my favorites as a likely replica build. good find there. If you do decide to "punch out" and start the build, good luck, God speed, and happy flying!

Flyingvan911

I wonder if these WW1 replicas are strong enough to do combat maneuvers. That would be a lot of fun. Ofcourse, they didn't do alot because of their low power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks