• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did Dodge make a 1-ton crew cab for the military in 1985?

JTZX

I stumbled across a 1985 Dodge W350 crew cab and I'm wondering if it is possible that this is an ex-military truck? The owner claims it is, and I ran a Carfax on it and it's DMV history doesn't begin until 11/12/2002. It looks like it's been redone (have only seen pictures), has a new paint job, new tires and wheels, redone interior, looks very nice. It supposedly has 54,000 original miles, a 360 V8 engine, Dana 60 front and rear axles, and a 4-speed transmission. Thanks!

Jason

[/img]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Did Dodge make a 1-ton crew cab for the military in 1985

Probably military. There were lots of these used in the military as commercial purchases. Some have a data plat but most don't. None had an M series number. I even have the NSN for the md 80s crew cabs somewhere.

dilvoy

I have one of those. Dana 60's front and rear with a 318 4V, auto trans, power steering and brakes. Mine still has the Air Force Blue paint job. It will be for sale as soon as I have a little time to spruce it up a bit.

JTZX

Cool. This one looks pretty nice, but it's on ebay and I have no way of inspecting it before the auction ends in 3 hours. It's no reserve and the bid is at $3050 right now. Doesn't seem too bad considering how it looks. The seller says there is no rust or bondo anywhere or any mechanical problems. It's a pretty cool truck though. Seems like it'd take a Cummins fairly well. :D

Here's the link by the way if anybody wants to take a look at it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=200023581398&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone seen any of these Dodge Crew Cab 4x4's with a long bed?
Yes, but they are really uncommon. They just didn't make a lot of them.

Adamlee

dodge 4x4 crewcabs etc

those mid-80's dodge w200 and w300 crewcabs are neat trucks...remember the 60's body style crewcabs? also cool.

a mid 80's 4x4 crewcab longbed would make for a great all-purpose rig....from taking the kids to school (crewcab) to picking up a load of topsoil or mulch.

this discussion is stirring up flashbacks of my M880 again...i gotta scan some pics of that beast!

Phoera

I know this is an older thread, but I just stumbled across this thread while looking for parts for my truck. The short answer is: you bet Dodge made 1-ton crew cabs for the military in 1985!! Actually, when I went to get new tires for mine, I was told it's actually a 1 1/4 ton truck, not a 1-ton. Best Mother's Day gift I ever received. :grin:

Wolf.Dose

W200 / W300 crew cabs were definetely in use at the military at least in Europe in the late 70's and the 80's. Some even with manual transmission. I saw and inspected at least one W200 crew cab with the reare manual transmission. Had a 9" bed. Origin was the Air Force. They had a lot of non standard vehicles by that time over here. The truck was sold to Heilbronn.
I also inspected IHC Pick Up's with 7,4 l engine 4WD, manual transmission, only at the Airforce. Ford Crew cab, 9" bed, big engine, 4WD were also common at the Air Force, smal engine 351, bigger ones up to 7.4 l gas, later also with the Navistar Diesel, automatic trans and manual trans.
Wolf

Thunder in NWOR

The Forest Service (US Department of Agriculture) bought Dodge Crew Cab (6-packs) trucks by the thousands in the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Both 2 and 4 wheel drive, with and without wenches, long and short beds. Used them as crew rigs.

There were even a few International 6 packs, but I dont remember any after the late 1970's.

All were used hard and sold with 60-80M milis (pretty much wore out).

I rode a lot of miles in 3rd gear on 2 track mountain roads as the center guy (new guy position) in the back seat going to and from the woods - making big bucks - $2.75 and hour.

greenunderdog

Yes they did, I have a 85 d-350 long bed out in the driveway. 360 4v auto and 4.10 dana 60 rear, 8510 gvw former air force truck (air force blue) with a palamino interior. Around the corner from me is a w-350 crew short bed also an air force truck for sale air force blue with a blue interior 318 auto and I believe 4.10 dana 60's

Elwenil

True, but you have to draw the line between a military contract truck with an M series number and what amounts to a basic fleet build truck that is bought the same as a civilian truck. Dodge built a lot of Crew Cabs for fleet customers, some in years when they were only available to fleet customers and not able to be ordered as a single truck but they are still not considered a "military vehicle" due tot he fact that they were all built to civilian specs and had no significant changes over what could be purchased commercially.

greenunderdog

I am unfamiliar with the M-880 series as far as military specific options, what were those options and how were they different from civilian trucks? the couple that I have looked at Colemans a few years back did not have any options not availible on a civilian truck. I also know of a 77? crew cab, short bed, 6cyl, 4 speed, 2 wd truck. has a military bumper /grille gaurd and was originally olive drab. another one close by is an 85? w-350 crew short bed 318 auto and 4.10 dana 60's and that one also was originally olive drab. Granted these trucks may not have been issued a military designation but they served our country no differently than others and they give the novice MV collector a low priced option to get involved in this hobby, my 56000 mile truck costed me 0 dollars except paper work and a couple parts I traded to the previous owner, I am looking for a WWII dodge for me and my son to work on together but until then my D-350 will have to do, when we do find it the Air Force d-350 of mine will probably be delegated to tow duty. Out of curiosity do military vehicle shows allow the 80,s fleet vehicles to participate as long as they were used by the military? please dont be mad when you see an 85 Air Force crew cab with troop seats and a military grille gaurd LOL rofl

Elwenil

If it's still wearing it's military paint and markings, I don't see why it would not have a place at a military show though I doubt it will get as much attention as some of the tactical vehicles. Generally modified vehicles don't get as much respect that I have seen but then that's never bothered me as I am building my '88 Ramcharger as a "what if" vehicle similar to an M880. As far as M880 specifics, they are simply built to the military specification which on some models could include a 24V electric system, special suspension and brackets for comm shelters, troop seats and cargo cover, black out lamps, etc. though some were added after delivery. Usually the distinction between a "real" military vehicle and a civilian one used by the military is the data plate. If it doesn't have a data plate on the dash, many people, myself included, will not consider it to be a military specific vehicle but rather a normal vehicle that was simply owned by the military for non-tactical use. This could be anything from the crew cabs used by the Navy and Air Force, to fuel tankers and ambulances to the "run of the mill" cars like the Dodge Rampage, Dodge Spirit and Ford Crown Vics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks