• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning up spilt Trans fluid

caladin

I have trans fluid spilled all overmy asphalt. I used some degreaser and a powerwasher but I still smell it and there is a stain. Any recommendations for getting the oily feel and the smell gone. I assume the stain will g o in time.

mendo

Dawn dish soap a little water and a broom or floor dri and grid it in with your boot and sweep up.

I agree, Dawn is super good at breaking down the oil and not being too harsh. it will eat into the blacktop if you leave it on too long, don't forget the kitty litter part.

jwaller

gasoline works great. just use lots of water to wash it down. also be sure to keep it out of your grass as it will kill that.

goldneagle

gasoline works great. just use lots of water to wash it down. also be sure to keep it out of your grass as it will kill that.
Gasoline on Asphalt! Any petroleum product will damage the asphalt. Not a good idea! I would use a soap based degreaser. They sell it at auto parts stores.

kastein

The fluid already ate into the asphalt most likely... not much you can do aside from soak up / wash off the stuff that's still at the surface. You'll probably have to patch the asphalt in the future.

This is one of the reasons I like working on concrete (preferably epoxy sealed) rather than asphalt. The other is that jackstands and jacks don't sink into concrete quite as well as they sink into warm asphalt on a summer day rofl

RealCavDog

I agree with the Dawn dishsoap ! That stuff is the best, and cheap ! Rinse well and soon !

Another option is a water based cleaner I use on engines and wheels that is called Purple Power Cleaner, and it is available almost everywhere ! And cheap too ! Again, RINSE !

As far as the gasoline, I see thats been covered ! It works great on cement, but when the petcock on my Harley started leaking late one evening, the next morning I had a real nice hole full of gravel base, about as big as my primary cover, and the surrounding area was totally unsealed !

All in less than 10 hours and about 2 gallons of slow dripping 89 octane unleaded !

:funny: Well, not so funny when time came to fix it ! LOL !

kastein

forgot, I LOVE that Purple Power stuff. I use that on unsealed cement floors all the time, what it doesn't take up, I use engine degreaser on (the orange oil stuff, it smells great.) Anything left gets acetone or brakleen and a good scrubbing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if I would try this on asphalt but we used to toss about 8 oz of brakleen in a small bucket of flor dry and immediatly spread it over the spill. Sucks it up right quick.

ryan77

I agree with the purple cleaner stuff works great!!! I use cat litter to get most up the the purple cleaner!!!

bigjmcconnell

I can tell you what NOT to try an its that water based Latex-ite green driveway cleaner that I got from Home Depot. Didn't do anything it seemed. I hate having blacktop in front of my garage, although its better than gravel I guess:cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks