• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post purchase Inspection San Antonio

ODw/envy

I have an M35a2 waiting on EUC in San Antonio. I would greatly appreciate a post purchase inspection. I just need to know if there are any major parts missing or obvious major leaks. I am mainly concerned about the brake system. She is supposed to be running but has "no foot brake". Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would prefer to tow the super duty with the deuce as apposed to the other way around.

Please PM me so it goes to my e-mail.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

ODw/envy

My plan is to move it off the base a short distance where I can prep it for the trip. Any help here would be appreciated. If you know of a place to work on it or someone with spare parts close by, in case of an emergency, that would help too.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right outside the DRMO fenced yard, there is a scale area with an unused building. I prepped my last deuce for over 2 hours at that spot a few months ago. As long as you don't make a mess, you should be OK. Your deuce came from the Texas National Guard and should be in good shape. The brakes will need bleeding, and I would for sure have someone lined out to overnight you some brake components if you need them. There are no surplus parts sources in San Antonio. Ft Sam is right in the middle of the industrial area of San Antonio, and there are truck parts places near by. If you are planning to drive to Tucson with your truck, I would for sure plan to do an oil change first. These trucks for the most part have been sitting idle for a long time. Good Luck!!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right outside the DRMO fenced yard, there is a scale area with an unused building. I prepped my last deuce for over 2 hours at that spot a few months ago. As long as you don't make a mess, you should be OK. Your deuce came from the Texas National Guard and should be in good shape. The brakes will need bleeding, and I would for sure have someone lined out to overnight you some brake components if you need them. There are no surplus parts sources in San Antonio. Ft Sam is right in the middle of the industrial area of San Antonio, and there are truck parts places near by. If you are planning to drive to Tucson with your truck, I would for sure plan to do an oil change first. These trucks for the most part have been sitting idle for a long time. Good Luck!!
:ditto:

What truck was it btw?

ODw/envy

Yeh planning a full service. Filters, oil, grease, diffs, lube, ect. I was going to take some wheel cylinders and brake lines and the like. I just do not want to get there and need a master cylinder or air pack and not have it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought: As you and Ft Sam are both on the I-10 corridor, you might be able to get it hauled for the same as the recovery fuel costs for your pickup both ways, and the deuce driving one way, plus hotels, etc. Try Uship or truckingdeals.com.

ODw/envy

Fuel should run $400 to $500 depending on the prices, total. I don't use the hotels or make stops other than fuel and major bathroom brakes (Yes I take the pee bottle). If I rest I sleep in the truck or camp.

I will look at shippers this week but I really like to recover myself and I doubt they can beet the price. Plus, I have the time and love a road trip.

It may be a little different than 80+ on a bike though. :-D

Thanks for the input.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ODw/envy, My bother went down and looked at some truck about three weeks ago at Fort Sam, I was thinking of biding on them and driving back also.
Would be a fun trip.
West Texas is going to be the long part, at 45mph, not much to see, just road!!!:driver:

Have a safe trip!!!:beer:

ODw/envy

West Texas is going to be the long part, at 45mph, not much to see, just road!!!:driver:

Have a safe trip!!!:beer:
I hear you. I've done it a few times in a 26' Penske going to and from ATL. they are governed at 54 mph. The last time I was hanging off of the left side of the steering wheel just to keep it in my lane, because of the bad alignment.

On the bright side, if things work out at least I'll be riding in S-T-Y-L-E.

TexAndy

I got 7102 and my EUC back for it last wednesday. I'm going up to bleed the brakes, swap batts, and top off the master cylinder tomorrow for (hopefully) a drive-off recovery on wednesday.

I could take a look at yours while I'm there. 4875 for the event, right?

eta: Unless you're the guy who won a couple of them out of that event and then posted them on craigslist for sale a day later. If you're that guy, lol... then no.

ODw/envy

Not me man. I've been scraping to get the money to buy and recover just one for almost a year. You would be doing me a big solid. I will definitely owe you. The event is 5825 and lot is 7103.

Would you like me to call ahead and let them know you will be looking at the truck?

Thanks,
Ryan

TexAndy

Not really necessary.

They're all in the same yard pretty close together. After I get done on mine, I'll just walk over to yours, hop in, and press the brake pedal a few times. I'll check the batts too, but I can pretty much guarantee you're going to need to either jump it, push start it, or swap in fresh ones.

You must have a high threshold of pain... the farthest I drove one was back from Fort Sill (with someone's help). And that was rough enough.

Pro-tip:

Get a bouy buddy and bolt it to the dash so you have secure drink storage. Also, bring a good set of peltor ear muffs and some ear buds for music/audio books.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks