• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the M880 power steering conversion project completed!
What a P.I.A.
I've had the power steering box on it for a few months.
Got the pump pullled of an organ donor last week.
I was a little miffed at having to remove the fan & pulley to get a PS bracket bolt. that and draining the coolant out of the block :?

Got 'er done last night. Jumped in it this morning coffee in one hand, had to turn & back up so I grabbed the wheel, got the arm & shoulder into position for the Armstrong Steering, Dang near fell over :shock:
Oh yeah! Power Streering, Saweeeet!

McGuyver

That was one of the best mods I've done to my M880. With that large 14"(?) steering wheel, I can turn the wheel with one finger now. :)

Hotrod1340

Power Steering

Bob do you have some pictures of how this looks when completed, is there any more trick or tips you could share?

I am planning on putting a plow on it and i think you said something about a top mounted vs a side mounted pump...could i get some more detail?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! looks like someone had some luck with the search function! 2 1/2 year old post.
No pics...
Most newer plows have electric pumps, so that should not be an issue.
search junk yards & ads for a 75-77 W200, W300, or W400 with powersteering.
D series of those years will not work. I heard the pitman arm is different from manual to power, so be sure to get that with the steering box.
I beileve 78 & 79 can also be used, but you will need the whole steering column and the rod that connects from pitman arm to axle.

Hotrod1340

I installed the powersteering gearbox, and i have been looking for the pump, the Junkyard just called and said they just got in a 78 3/4ton dodge pickup with powersteering will that pump and mounting hardware work? i am not sure if its 4 wheel drive or not?

Hotrod1340

Well I am taking a ride over there during my lunch, I did call them and ask them what engine it had and she said a 400 (i never heard of a 400) so i will check it out and at least get the pump....I called the local dodge dealer and he is useless (dosent have the right catalogs and just unwilling to help) I told him I try to spend money in the town I live in but he was still uninterested. Owell back to the internet.

Hotrod1340

ok, i went and looked a 2 trucks one was a 78 3/4 ton big block truck with AC i am almost sure the mount wont work, then I saw a 84 powerwagon with a small block and no AC do you think this will work??

Hey the power steering hose connecting points on the gearbox i installed pointout the right side of the box towards the frame is this correct? can i get a hose in there? One loks like it will be no problem but the one hose looks really tight.

Last edited:

Hotrod1340

thanks jim, I will pick it up this week are the hoses easy to come by? a stock part at a auto supply? this truck is missing the steering box so the hoses were cut off.

thanks again

bob

jimbo*

I would assume the hoses are easily acquired--I had the complete truck at my disposal when I did the conversion.
Try a decent parts store, such as NAPA or Car Quest; I have commercial accounts at both, and find NO reason to try Autozone or the like.

N1265

Yes, The hoses do come out of the right side of the box. Here is a couple of pictures of the gear box on my M880. I got the complete set off of a 1979 Ramcharder.

The one picture ( a little fuzzy ) is of an adjusting screw on the right side of the box ( that can be adjusted threw a hole in the frame ) I think you might be able to get to the hoses by taking the rubber skirt on the inner fender out, but I am not sure...

Attachments

Hotrod1340

N1265, thank you very much that is good to know, can i get a couple pictures of the mounted pump and the top looking down at the steering box? Your truck looks very clean.

thanks again.

Hotrod1340

that really helps, thanks, they pulled the pump today and i am going to get it tomorrow, they said it only has one piece of metal attached to it it is probably that front bracket piece....i will keep you posted

Hotrod1340

Well I didn't get the pump on yet but i am close, I need to find some longer bolts. Every bolt on this truck is to short to long and are bottomed out (valve covers leaking like crazy) and all are finger tight....

I got the steering box on last week and even though i don't have it hooked up i am noticing a drip/leak around the pitman arm shaft. is this rebuild able, or do i have to start looking a replacement steering box?

Hotrod1340

N1256, I have another question, at the top mount is there 2 plates? or is the big plate with the adjustment slot does that attach directly to the water pump?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks