• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Data Plate Restoration Tip

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I thought I'd pass along a neat little restoration trick I figured out a few days ago...

I recently bought a pressure washer (Sears/Craftsman 4 h.p., 2,100 psi), and I've found it to be extremely useful for everything I expected... like cleaning and degreasing. However I discovered a valuable additional use for it: A pressure washer can be used just like a sand blaster for fine removal of coatings from delicate surfaces...

My M35A2's axle data plates were completely covered with many layers of paint, so that you could hardly tell there was a data plate there at all, as seen in the first pic. I used my pressure washer to remove the layers of paint from the data plates without damaging their original paint! As you can see in the second pic, the light blue Rockwell logo and text is perfectly intact and the stamped data is now readable. (The scratches were already there)

I've never seen replacement Rockwell axle data plates for sale, so it is necessary to restore the existing plates and this is the best way I can think of to do it. Note that it took about 45 minutes per data plate to get the paint off... It's a slow process but the result is worth it!

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks