• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton tractor questions

98hd

Hello all.

I've been looking at getting a 5-ton tractor and have a few questions about one I'm thinking of bidding on, on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4519774731&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I've searched the web, but can't find a cab heater kit for this truck, anyone know where they are available?

Also, wondering about the engine. Says it's a mack diesel, but is this a multifuel or not? Has anyone turned up the power on that model engine?

Finally, I know they are slow, but how slow, I think I remember seeing about 52MPH as the top speed?

If anyone cares to comment about the truck in the link and state what they think it's worth that would be appreciated also.

big daddy

Depends,year, condition,options, winch,gas or diesel.Lately the 5 tons are going kind of high,I wanted a tractor too! But I bought a gasser long bed and I'm gonna convert to fifth wheel cause I can't find one as cheap. When I'm done I'll have about 2500 in mine.Mine is already coverted to 12 volt , has a rebuilt motor,and a winch.Although the gasser is less desireable I dont know anything about diesel motors.My mpg was 5 mpg I don't know about the mpg on the diesels.Mine goes about 54 mph ,so 52 sounds about right.5 ton is easy to drive because of power steering,especialy going slow or stopped.I don't know a lot about them but I'm learning about mine,any questions feel free to ask! Good luck! Mark

ICEMAN71

98hd---- if the 5-ton you are looking at on ebay is the same one that i looked at last night the truck is listed as haveing a mack engine in it , but looking at the pics it looks like it may have been a gasser at one time. look at the firewall right below the driver window and you can see the outline of the gasser voltage regulator that was once there. the truck may have been coverted by the military after the gasser gave out they did that quite often as the old gasser motors woreout. i have a 5-ton bridge truck and would not trade it for anything,mine also has the gasser motor and will run 60mph on flat ground and 50 on a moderate hill in 5th gear, off road the truck is almost unstopable it will go just about anywhere or over anything.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, the truck is most definitly am M52A1. It does have the Mack ENDT673 engine in it. The Macks have kind of a narrow powerband but run good. I like Multifuels but if I were towing weight, I would prefer the Mack. Lots of trucks had the generators upgraded to alts with the built in regulator. Just for your info, al of the 5 tons with the -A1 suffix are Macks unless somebody got to foolin around. 55 should be no problem with this truck. I'm not sure who has heaters in stock but there are some NOS kits still out there. Although not a direct replacement, the M151 heaters can be used too!

Longhunter7

98hd!

You need to complete a PROFILE and a SIGNATURE!

Go to the CONTROL PANEL and complete these items!

This is a requirement for members of Steel Soldiers!

Please correct this oversight! :smile:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Height is about 55" on a dual wheel 5 ton. My deuce is at 53" IIRC. the plates are a double pivot but has wedges to keep it flat until you need the side pivot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks