• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

states requiring fenders on trailers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought this might be important, I've seen plenty of trailers for sale on GL that have no fenders, never had fenders, etc. However, there are states that require if you use a trailer on the road, the state would require you have fenders on the unit, so if you have a M332 or a M200 without fenders, you'd have to add them for road use.

Perhaps this is a good place to start a running list.

Bighurt

That's kind of a barrel of bees...

North Dakota does have fender rules and specifications for wheel coverings. However they are only found in the modified vehcile section and one other that the title escapes me atm.

In either case the GVW and original configuration make those trailers listed exempt in North Dakota.

Just saying the rule is not as cut and dry as everything else, and even everything else has loop holes to be found.

Whitey

I believe in MD you have to have fenders on trailers for sure. This would pertain to the ammo trailers I've seen on GL (not sure of the model numbers), which do not have fenders at all. And you're required to have some sort of reflective tape on the sides of the trailer. MD is restrictive for most things and in general has multiple classifications to squeeze more fees out of you, so here's the general MVA link: MVA Home Page

DieselBob

That is a good point that I never gave any thought to. I would bet that the Peoples Republic of Maryland would require fenders. They might not give it much thought unit the LEO's figure out it isn't a gooberment MV.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is from michigan vehicle code

detailed information, refer to the​
Michigan Vehicle Code.
TRAILER, SEMI-TRAILER, POLE TRAILER EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
ITEM CONDITIONS
CODE
SECTION

Michigan State Police
Traffic Services Section, Sergeant Tim Heideman
October 1997​
Brakes Trailer or semi-trailer gross weight 5,500 pounds or more:
adequate to control movement, stop and hold. Designed to
be applied by driver of towing moor vehicle from cab.
Trailer or semi-trailer with gross weight of less than 3,000
pounds need not be equipped with brakes. Means shall be
provided for applying the rearmost trailer brakes in
approximate synchronism with the brakes on the towing
vehicle. Trailers and semi-trailers shall be equipped with
parking brakes adequate to hold vehicle.
Tires 2/32 of an inch minimum tread. Vehicles weighing 10,000
pounds or more: 4/32 of an inch on front. No part of
belting material, tire cords, or plies exposed. No evidence
of ply or tread separation. Not restricted from highway use.
Mud Flaps Constructed, equipped, or operated to prevent substances
from being thrown from rear wheels exceeding 22 1/2
degrees measured from road surface. No breakable
reflective material attached to flap type device.​
(APPLIES TO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ONLY)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that would suck in the case of the M200 I want to buy but for what I want it for it won't matter. I want a dolly for my big trailer so I can tow it with the Deuce.

Bighurt

Well that would suck in the case of the M200 I want to buy but for what I want it for it won't matter. I want a dolly for my big trailer so I can tow it with the Deuce.
I'm pretty certain dollies fall into the same realm as tractors. Fenders aren't required in all states...

Your mileage may differ...

Injunfarian

This is a common talk on a local offroad forum. In Ontario(Canada) the rule is you need proper fenders and mudflaps to reduce spray on wet pavement. If the pavement is dry to my understanding then you a fine without.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks