• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

crossing border (canada)

tatra813

Im trading my mog for another truck with a guy in Canada. What do we have to do to get the truck accross the bordor? I do have a title but would it be easier to say its a tractor?

Thanks
Dean

B3.3T

I don't know myself, but do your self a big favor and call customs and find out for sure what you need to do. Don't lie or try to tweek anything. If it backfires you could be in serious trouble.

tatra813

I don't know myself, but do your self a big favor and call customs and find out for sure what you need to do. Don't lie or try to tweek anything. If it backfires you could be in serious trouble.
technically it is a tractor Ill have to see what they require.

Bighurt

Definitely call customs both sides...and tell them the whole deal. Going out maybe easy till you get to Canada's shack.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As above, call the crossing that you will use, and ask your questions. Then be sure to ask for and get the the Officer's name or badge number. Take notes on the conversation. Is the transaction going to be in Canada? If so, you may have to pay GST Tax. That might be a big lump! If so, you might want the transaction to take place in this country. If you do the trade, do you have to get a title back in this Country? Is that possible?

My location necessitates crossing the border sort of often. Personally, I'm tired of doing business with them. Usually, I have found that there is no real good reason to buy anything in Canada. Stuff is real high there, and there is lots of tax on everything. I remember trying to mail a letter there - I had to pay tax on the postage stamp! Just cross the border - gas is a dollar higher there.

Maybe things aren't completely perfect here, but I'll take being under Uncle Sam's umbrella, any day!!!!

wsucougarx

Not sure if this helps or not but I sold a VW GTi to a guy in BC. He came down to WA State. I signed the title over to him and provided him a bill of sale. He took it up to the border, put the car in storage for a week until customs cleared. Basically the work was all done by him. He handled all the customs paperwork on the Canadian side of the fence.

natem

All good advice, I will add make the exchange at the border in the"free trade zone" provided. You each deal with your own side of the border.

Nate

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paperwork for the truck must be faxed to the US border crossing at least 72 hrs before the truck arrives there. It must stop at the US crossing and be prossesed and an export permit provided before it goes to the Canadian side. Paperwork incudes a copy of the bill of sale marked paid in full, Copy of the Title. The exporter ( buyer ) must also provide a copy of his passport picture page and his Drivers Licence. If it is under 15 yrs old a letter from the Manufaturer or a licenceced dealer must accumpany it saying that all recalls have been performed as nessasary. If older than 15yrs this is not nessasary. Phone the crossing about an hr or so after faxing and talk to the officer there and ask if it all came readable and if they would like anything else. Take down his name and badge # and the time you talked to him for referance later if there is trouble. On the Canadian side you will have to present the documents and the export permit from the US Custums. If it is not 15 yrs old then there is extra taxes and paperwork and inspection fees but as it is over 15 yrs old all you will have to pay is the GST and as it is a German manufatured truck you will pay a duty of about 8% if it has A/C you will pay $125.00 Tax on each A/C unit Dash unit and Camper or Box unit if it has one. The Provenice you import it into will charge you a Provinceal Tax when you register it there and may require inspections before granting you plates. I have imported lots of trucks from the US and have a 1963 404 S I brought up from there. If you have any more questions please ask and I am more than willing to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks