• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SC Antique Truck Law

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I talked to a candidate running for office last fall and finally got around to checking on what I'd asked him to do if elected. Here's what I found:

H 4032A BILL

TO AMEND SECTIONS 56-3-2210 AND 56-3-2220, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES CLASSIFYING CERTAIN VEHICLES AS ANTIQUE MOTOR VEHICLES, AND THE DEPARTMENT'S ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATES OF REGISTRATION AND LICENSE PLATES TO OWNERS OF ANTIQUE MOTOR VEHICLES, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THE DEPARTMENT MAY CLASSIFY CERTAIN VEHICLES AS ANTIQUE TRUCKS, AND ISSUE CERTIFICATES OF REGISTRATION AND LICENSE PLATES TO OWNERS OF ANTIQUE TRUCKS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-3-2210 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 56-3-2210. Every A motor vehicle as herein defined which is over twenty-five years old, is owned solely as a collector's item and is used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses, but in no event used for general transportation, and has a gross vehicle weight of ten thousand pounds or less may be classified by the Department of Motor Vehicles as an antique motor vehicle. A motor vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight in excess of ten thousand pounds that otherwise meets the provisions of this section may be classified as an antique truck."
SECTION 2. Section 56-3-2220 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 56-3-2220. Upon receipt of an application on a form prescribed by the Department of Motor Vehicles, it the department may issue appropriate designated license plates to owners of antique motor vehicles and antique trucks. Such The license plate shall be is valid so as long as title to such the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the certificate of registration and license plate of any such for an antique motor vehicle shall be is ten dollars. The fee for the certificate of registration and license plate for an antique truck is fifty dollars."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

No daily drivers, but the big trucks get covered, just like the cars and smaller jeeps, etc. If you are in SC, talk to your legislators and lets get this one moving! We'll improve it later!!

DieselBob

A motor vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight in excess of ten thousand pounds that otherwise meets the provisions of this section may be classified as an antique truck."
I know this is for a different state than my own but knowing how officials love to split hairs when it comes to regulations. One other slight but very critical change, IMO, I would work to include at some point would be the following addition. This just removes any doubt as to what the statute is meant to cover.

" A motor vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight in excess of ten thousand pounds, Irrespective of the number of axles, that otherwise meets the provisions of this section may be classified as an antique truck.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,

I did have that in what I sent, but he has to put it through a legislative council that actually writes the final wording. One of the first trucks we will get registered is a five ton wrecker!

butch atkins

so what this means to me is i cant use my truck as a daily driver or for hauling farm supplies,that i will have to join a "club",(clique),and be limited to what the "club" designates as an "activity". Thanks ,but NO. I have kept tags ,insurance,registration on my truck continually since 1992. No way do I want a "club",or the SC DMV telling me when ,where,and how i can drive my truck.Be careful what you ask the SC DMV to do for you,you may get more than you ask for

3dAngus

I wonder if this will help any with some of the fuel tax laws that we have witnessed lately from members, and the legislation that goes along with it. Geeze, this is vague writing, but it came up in the last ten days, and I don't have time to go research it. If no one else chimes in, I promise I will come back tomorrow and readdress appropriately. For now, does anyone know if htis helps with the federal laws or even SC state laws in regards to fuel stamps and law for vehicles with 3 axles or more.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Butch, Right now the only way you can register is with weighted, commercial (or farm) tags, this gives others a much less expensive way, but does not exclude 'commercial' registration. It gives those of us who do not use our trucks every day a way to keep them registered without a (for me anyway) $1000 a year license tag bill! I can't drive but one at the time anyway.

3dAngus

OK, I searched for the thread that had info and concerns about IFTA stickers on these trucks, and fines that could be levied against owners who do not have them. There were some questions whether antiquity vehicles in some states could be exempt from having the need for IFTA stickers, where every state is different in their individual Dept. of Revenue requirements for such stickers. I will post the thread link below in case anyone wants to "refresh their memory" on a hotly contested issue. It was in North Carolina.

Do you feel the antique application, under the newly written rule, would be of any help for a deuce owner in South Caroline where some of the rules would be lifted for IFTA or any other state fuel tax special requirements? Mey son is in Charleston looking for land in the outskirts, and if he gets some, I will be buying MV's and trailers and use them there for hunting, so I might register there and would like to know if there are other advantages.
Of course, the $1000 a year license tag bill savings is plenty enough (and ridiculous) in it's own right. Nice work SCSG-G4!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/67858-fuel-sticker-viloation-nc.html

butch atkins

SC Law

when you throw up the fuel tax stamp you are talking about diesel fuel,my truck is a gas burner,I dont want to have to have to go get a CDL to be able to drive my truck,which is where this will wind up if the people that want to feed thier egos with a personel "antique" tag want to go.I have a friend who runs a licensed tractor trailer repair shop since 1946,he cant believe that i am still able to get tags and ins. without a CDL. All i see this as is a way for more people to be forced into giving up a truck because of the weight,and the number of axles that it has.Dont try to tell me its for the good of the hobby,I had a hard time getting ins ,tags ,registration on my truck in 1992.Today it wouldnt happen.If you want to run a commercial or farm tag on anything more than10k lbs,or more than 2 axles,you need to get your act together before you start babbling on about an "antique" tag.All you are doing is giving the state more reason to deny someones ability to own and operate a big truck.

3dAngus

In most states, applitcation for an antique tag is strickly voluntary. No one is going to force you to make any changes. It is usually an optional way to tag a vehicle.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Butch,

If you look at my signature line, I have five each deuce trucks, all titled and registered. No CDL because they are less than 26,000 pounds GVW. I know people who have had deuces registered in SC longer than you have. You are the same guy that came to the GA Rally last year ans got upset that everyone did not fall all over themselves making you 'feel at home'. I for one, was too busy in the MKT to notice much of anything. Get the log off your shoulder, it's not becoming.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Butch- I have IFTA stickers on my commercial truck- if it were gasoline, I STILL would have to pay the IFTA taxes for other states that I traveled through.

The CDL thing is still very clear in SC. 26,000lbs or less, and not used in commerce, no CDL. 26,001lbs or more, or used in commerce (commercially) then you need a CDL.

I have my m109 registered as an RV so it gets regular plates. The xm818 has been used for business, so it has the weighted tag.

It is just another registering option for us SC folks. There are some that belong to 'clubs' and go to only 'events' They can pay for the antique tag and all the limits it brings. The rest of us that haul stuff and use our trucks can still register them the way we have them.

butch atkins

Mike,grow up dude,this is not about the GA rally,really tacky and low class to even bring it up.Lets stick to the facts,i have had a "P" tag on my truck since 1992,it doesnt cost 1k a year,it is renewd every 2 years ,the cost of the tag/decal is based on the GVW of the truck,my ins company is very accomodating in allowing me to insure this truck,you are creating waves by wanting to get a personal tag.My ins co. has already called me in Feb wanting me to "resubmit" all the info about my truck,my reply to them is that nothing has changed since 1992.I ask them why they are doing this ,the reply is that "new ins regs"are taking place since the SC Ins Reg has changed the laws concerning private ownership of multi axle/GVW registerd vehicles.If you want more govt oversight ,keep making waves.This is not about you or the GA rally .I am simply stating that if you ask the govt for special exceptions ,what will you eventually wind up with?.All the state sees this as is away to make more money.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Butch, we have the antique plates here in Ohio. I don't know what you are getting at about making waves. This is a good thing. I don't know how your truck is tagged, but it sounds like you should have farm plates. If the historic/antique plates bill passes, you will not be forced to change your tags.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The state would make WAY more money by not allowing us to get antique tags, and all of us having to get weighted tags. By letting antique trucks have a special registration and tag, the state LOSES money.

Lots of DOT regs exclude antique equipment, not used in commerce, specifically in writing.

Other states have let their citizens register under antique tags- and there wasn't a mad rush by that state to suddenly change all the rules on them.

If they come after all us 'new' antique tagged truck owners with crazy rules and fees, we could simply go back to getting the weighted tags. Also, it is way more than just us MV owners. There are lots of individuals with antique trucks that had no military affiliation. Probably more of them than MV owners.

So I just don't see the point of your argument.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Mike,grow up dude,this is not about the GA rally,really tacky and low class to even bring it up.Lets stick to the facts,i have had a "P" tag on my truck since 1992,it doesnt cost 1k a year,it is renewd every 2 years ,the cost of the tag/decal is based on the GVW of the truck,my ins company is very accomodating in allowing me to insure this truck,you are creating waves by wanting to get a personal tag.My ins co. has already called me in Feb wanting me to "resubmit" all the info about my truck,my reply to them is that nothing has changed since 1992.I ask them why they are doing this ,the reply is that "new ins regs"are taking place since the SC Ins Reg has changed the laws concerning private ownership of multi axle/GVW registerd vehicles.If you want more govt oversight ,keep making waves.This is not about you or the GA rally .I am simply stating that if you ask the govt for special exceptions ,what will you eventually wind up with?.All the state sees this as is away to make more money.
No need to get personal.

Most of us know Mike IS NOT tacky or low class and would never do anything to cause problems.

As stated before...this would be an OPTION for some fellers only if they elect to pick that OPTION!!

If not...continue like you are!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have weighted tags right now, as that is the only way to go in SC. And yes, it cost me over a grand for the first cycle of tags- 725.00 to tag the 814, and 526.00 a year for insurance. But this will go down, as the weighted tag is good for 2 years. I can see where if you had multiple vehicles, the antique tags would be nice. I still may haul a load of dirt or rock now and then, so I plan to keep weighted tags on the 814. And EVERYBODY gets insurance adjustments- things change, and the insurance folks like to make sure that they won't get THEIR butt in a sling.
Now if and when I get an M37, it will have historic plates on it, as it will not be a daily driver, and I won't need to haul anything in the bed of the M37.

I am also with the other posters- there needs to be something about IFTA in the law, and that it doesn't apply to PERSONAL VEHICLES NOT INGAUGED IN COMMERCIAL WORK. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks