• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Chevy truck questions

citizensoldier

Let me start by saying I do not know much at all about the old Chevy trucks from the late 30's to late 40's. But here are my thoughts.. I located a 1956 Chevy 4x2 panel van/Suburban truck. It has heavy springs,the longer wheelbase and 8 lug axles. I am considering building a LRDG Chevy look alike out of it. I think I can find the front clip and fenders off a 40's chevy for the front.. The back would be a fairly easy fabrication.
Is the 4x2 30cwt frame the same length as this Suburban? What motor was in the LRDG ? I have not been able to locate very many specifics on the 30cwt.. I know many times they just changed the sheetmetal and used the same drive line/frame for many years.
NOTE: The truck I found is longer than the black and white chevy pictured. It was a panel truck of some kind..

Attachments

Last edited:

WW2Chevy

Did you mean 1956 or 1946? The body style had some major changes from 46 to 47. The headlights on top of the fenders were moved into the fenders, among othere changes...

citizensoldier

The 1 ton panel van is a 1956. I am aware of the sheetmetal/body changes. What I am trying to figure out is the frame. Are they the same or will the 56 frame work with the older front body panels. I located a 1940 and a 1942 stake trucks with good cabs and fenders. But they have the 5 lug stake truck axles. I want to modify the cab of one of these and mount it on the 1956 1 ton 8 lug frame. :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks