• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Willys Engine Identification

Dragracer_Rob

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. I believe your generator is WWII vintage, and the spark plugs and shielded wires are aircraft type and not available anymore. The points and condenser is likely the same as a Jeep, ask at your local auto parts house for a 1960's CJ-5 with a F134 engine, the part numbers are the same. The simplest solution for the plugs and wires issue might be to replace the entire distributor with a civilian jeep type and go with unshielded resistor wires for noise suppression. Plugs are Champion CJ-8 or AC 45.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looks like a standard L-134 engine. What year is hard to say, they made them for a long time.

pvtjorge

I cannot tell from the distributor end photo (it's too small) but from the spark plug end, if it is screwed to a water proof spark plug, then that connection is available. Probably same thing on the distibutor end, but can't tell from the photo. The water proof cable/wires are available from certain venders for the L134 and F134 engines.

Dragracer_Rob

Thanks for the help. Did some more digging, looks like an M38A1 with the waterproof 24V spark plug wires. It has a rectangular distributor with the coil wire off to the side. I'll try to get some better pictures at the meeting tonight. Mine has a stamped steel outer cover that the spark plug wires screw into. The wires are $185 and the plugs are $18 each. I will likely have to replace the distributor with something I can find parts for. Will the ones listed above fit?

pvtjorge

I would shop around, you can find them both a lot cheaper. I bought plugs at O'Rielly's and Car Quest for around $8ea. For the wires try the military vehicle parts vendors. They will be on ebay occasionally too.
Check this link out to see if the wires will work on your vehicle.
M38 M38A1 Specials

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a guy on ebay in Ga who sells a lot of mil Jeep stuff at great prices. I think his username is wcf4.

Dragracer_Rob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks