• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mutt 4x4 to 6x6

landfillman

Im new to the forum but have liked MV's since the neighbors construction company had scads of Surplus machines in use up till the mid 80's. I was at a salvage and machinery yard back in the sticks and found an MUTT the rear axle has a through pinion like a 2.5 ton. I was prowling around and found a spare drive shaft and 2 more complete axles and some frame chunks. THis had been cut but it was put back together very good. I was thinking about how easily it would be to ad the other frame section to the rear and put the spare rearend in it. IVe seen a few MUTT conversions like this but never up close. Has anyone seen such a conversion or think this is a waste of time. Normally I wouldnt modify some thing like this but the body on the rear has had some rough times.

I would stretch the body and make look factory. The owner said another man was interested in it and had looked first. I will know a little more tomorrow. THeres also a straighter one in a shed on the property but it may be sold already.

landfillman

Those look great, THat exactly what I had in mind Its gonna be a side project if I get it. The other man interested has a few hes restoring and may get these trucks and parts. Those would be great crusing the Landfill at work and going to the working face and back in winter.

I really apreciate this info and pics, Im not really familiar with this model but liked the way the axles were made.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Wow.. with those wide tires. I bet thats a Joy to steer down the road...
They are interesting to look at. how about we loose the tires in back and run Tracks.. 1/4 ton Halftrack..
:cool:
J.P.

landfillman

Well I got the little Mutts 2 of them for 500 dollars for the pair and before we left another man came in and he hand his son were rebuilding one and needed parts. They looked at the worse one on te rear of the trailer and then looked ath the better one and said wit hthem they could get thiers going and have another one. THey were about to leave and I couldnt help but see how disapointed the kid was. I thought about it before they left and made them an offer for the pair and a half for 600 and me deliver. I had paid a friend 100 to run up there and get them. THey got a pair and half for 600. They needed a rear end bad and a few other parts for theirs.

Ive been in that situation a bunch and kinda felt for the kid he was about 16 and had a good way about him looking at all the old timers rust gold. I figured those had a good home anyway.
By the way after driving a spreader truck with those tires on the front like one posted at 55 on the street they andle like a pig.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks