• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tug

RealCavDog

Now that is tooo cooool ! I could really see a bunch of awesome uses for that beauty !

Most of them shock-value or head -scratching based ! :jumpin:

If there are any more pictures or information on these, that would be great !

steelypip

From before my time. By the '70s those were all replaced with tugs that look very much like a large airport has. All those windows make a lot of sense for checking status of the tow bar and tow and for backing. I bet they begged for air conditioning, though - it's always pretty hot on the flight line and that cab doesn't look like it would catch a lot of breeze.

Airplanes as big as BUFs and B-36s get dragged around a lot - starting engines to taxi down the flight line is a major (expensive) event.

Knowing how fragile and unreliable (prone to overheat) the recip powerplants on the B-36 were, I suspect they didn't start them until they knew for sure that they were really going flying....

Bighurt

Couldn't find a weight....

The current Dragon's, UTE's, MB-2 whatever you call them we use for the BUFF is a beastly machine, and gets a lot of use...

Steely was right nothing with 8 engines is cheap to start or fly...

DUUANE

Ive been using mine in its modified state for a few years now..its a beast..and its truly a rubber tired locomotive..ive used it to drag tandem truck around with the brakes all locked up and had 10,000# swinging from the jib while driving around in the yard..you can hardly tell theres any load on it..its simply the most fun pull-your-house-down toy ive had..makes my tridem dump seem like a lightweight.12.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks