• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit locker

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After spending most of last weekend reclaming my Deuce from the mud hole in my back yard, i decide to install a locker in the middle axle. I'm worried about snapping a axle shaft though. I often run the truck heavly loaded on the highway. Has anyone experenced this? Thanks

M1075

Ken-

I don't have experience with it, but I want to get a locker as well. Please keep us up to date on the installation.

spicergear

I will tell you from general Rockwell usage, Detroits are VERY positive in these axles. If you're running NDT's, you're gonna get stuck again...BUT, you probably won't have enough traction to break an axle. On the road, you may get a bit more of a straight push. Remember, they lock when the differential is being driven so if you lift, it'll unlock. Sorry to hear about you stuck...I hate NDT's.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had several deuces with Detroits and I love them. Take the time to look at how they work and understand them. That helps volumes in your effort to drive with them installed. I'll tell you this, if you are going to try to power through a turn in the dirt with detroits in the back, plan on going straight. At least this is true with Detroits in both axles. Hey Spicer, little critical on those NDTs buddy. They have contributed to some war victories :) I'm sure all of our readers knows what NDT stands for right? Non Directional Travel!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I forgot the main question! For general travel, axle breakage isn't a problem. If you're going to test your vehicles Mettle by climbing large bolders without front drive engaged than breakage is probably going to happen.

spicergear

Yeah, the NDT's get on my nerves. I'm glad they've done their purpose...and we've been moving away from them in their typical round carcass design. Look at it this way, if you're going to beat something into the ground you're not gonna leave the bottom of it flat or blunt right? Right, you're gonna round it or sharpen it. The round design of the NDT's make ruts on the first pass, ditches on the second pass and stuck on the third. I cannot wait to get my 15.5" wide singles on. If I hadn't come across them, it would already be clad with 1200x20 XL's. At least they have a flat tread.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you mention that round issue. The older WW2 stuff had the NDCC tires which had a flatter tread. Seems the Gov't goes the wrong way. Went from flat contact pattern tires to round and went from super singles to duals! Don't get me wrong, I love duals and all my deuces have them but I also realize that they suck off road. Super singles win off road hands down!

Desert Rat

Ken,
I'd put my 1988 International 9200 with the 36 inch sleeper and a 4%1/4 Cat with a 13 over against anything in a super single fleet in an intermodal railyard anytime if I still had the truck. That truck never got stuck in those super deep muddy and half filled concrete-and-dirt patched pits. The super single trucks were always getting caught! And guess who was making $20 a tow to get them out.........?

spicergear

Hey Recovery, I got stuck today. JOY. Grrr, crappy full slick center tires! I thought I'd be able to get some wood from down this one ravine where I couldn't get out with them with the tractor one day. I got them all loaded up and tried to go in the way I came. I made it about 10' then spun slick without biting in. This was bad as there's nothing to winch to going that direction. I had to try and go out another way...which was where I slid the tractor down through in mud. Up hill through the mud took about 10 or so tries to get past an area a little longer than the truck with the truck having now about a half a bed full of 20" cut logs on it. Got the truck aimed to a point where I could hook onto something with the winch. It's 9* out, already dumped 3" of snow of the 'round 12" expected and blowing wind. And actually, I'm happy as a clam! Got the line pulled out and realized I didn't have any vice grips to grap the engagement shaft for the winch clutch. A clamp end from a jumper cable worked in that pinch and I'll have to put a little more effort into mounting that clutch handle. :) Got out fine after that. Loaded up some more wood. Ended up with a full bed of cut logs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, wished I were there! Sounds like a fun day! Brings back memories! I look back in time and realize some of my worst nightmares (at the time) are my fondest experiences! I just love it! By the way, what up with the M715s? You get a big block and the wife gets a road olier? Are you giving hers skinny tires too?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a locker in my pick up truck for about ten years. I understand about coasting around a corner so the locker will relese. But i've been known to carry 8 yards of wet sand in my truck and i was worried about breaking something with that kind of a load on dry pavment. Thanks sod buster i'll check it out. I'm with spicergear , i think the NDT's are most of my problem. Thanks for the replys.

spicergear

Recovery, she wanted something to be able to get some mpg out of. I figure a cucv 6.2 mated to NV4500 with it's big overdrive might even work with the stock 5.87's the M715's come factory with. I've got a set of 1100x 16 XL's that I had grooved each tread block and she actually wants to run them.

Well, was supposed to pick up my dropside bed today, but the weather hindered that. Crap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks