• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I just bought an M38A1

Deadguyllc

Fully restored, all original equipment. I won't go hardcore four wheeling, or on long trips with this, but I would like to go camping and head out to the local parks with it. Is there anything I can do to give it a top speed of like 65? Instead of about 50? Regear? Bigger tires (not something I'm real into, I want to keep the original look). New tranny? Maybe a T18? I swapped the T90 for a T18 on my old CJ, and it worked great.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very nice.

The answer to your speed issue is an overdrive. Regearing it creates a bunch of of issues (if you or future owners ever want to crawl through the woods, it's a detriment), taller tires don't make enough of a difference, etc.

The overdrive is the best of all worlds-you keep the Jeep's low gearing for crawling around, ease of acceleration, etc., but you gain lower rpm's/more speed, it's a bolt on swap, adds value and resale value to the vehicle, etc.

Only downside: Not cheap. But they hold their value very well.

Beware-make sure your steering linkage and front suspension is TIGHT-new tie rods, tight (preferably rebuilt) steering box, etc. A Jeep at 65 feels a LOT different than a Jeep at 50.

Read all about them here: Overdrives

Beautiful Jeep. Congratulations.

RealCavDog

That is very nice ! Talk about a very cool ride !

And, what clinto said about the overdrive unit is the only (well, best !) way to go !

Enjoy your awesome ride ! [thumbzup]

txdodge43man

As a fellow Texan congrats on getting a beautiful M38A1. The M38a1 is a great jeep to do what you are wanting to use it for. CLINTO is correct about the overdrive. My dad is restoring his second M38A1 and it will be getting a overdrive installed. Also there are a few MV groups in Austin you may want to get in contact with they can be a good place for information locally. Again congrats and welcome to the site.

jamesfrom180

I will trade you straight up so you don't have to do anything to that beauty.
<---------------
OD is the best to not start screwing with it. Your gears are so low it would be hard to get any more top end out of that 4. She is really pretty.:drool:

Whitey

Very clean looking Jeep! In regards to going 65 mph in a M38A1, that's pretty fast. Driving 40 mph in the M38 on twisty country roads is as about as fast as I've ever needed. The lack of any roll bar and only a canvas top held by bows has been enough of a speed limiter for me. I know that old school jeepers would probally say that's being too cautious, but that's just me. Have fun and nice Jeep! [thumbzup]

Deadguyllc

Overdrive sounds great-I just did some research, and even though I have rebuilt two jeeps (both 70's CJs) I had never heard of it!
I really only want to go fast for brief stretches on the major highways, so I don't get pulled on an interstate for going too slow, and it doesn't take me forever to get anywhere out of town. If it's too far out of town, I'll take another car. Will I need to cut anything in the floor to install the overdrive?
Also, I was thinking of installing a PTO winch. any thoughts?

Attachments

Josh

I believe as long as you can do 55mph on any freeway, reguardless of posted speedlimit, your legal. Something about federal something or another. Unless of corse the posted speed limit is less then 55.

I had a convo with a dot man about it when I got the deuce. Ill try and find the exact mumbojumbo about it. But until then, have no fear driving the jeep.

Edit - Ive been driving the deuce up and down I-5 like crazy in 75mph+ zones, passed many a LEO on speed patrol and never once had one chase me down when I'm doing 53-55mph.

Last edited:

modified

well, I'll chime in.

I humbly suggest:

First. you have to realize how much you are willing to spend vs. your desire to preserve what you now possess.

http://www.earlycj5.com/ is full of discussions on mild mods and tricks that would test your abilities, wallet, and patience, so be prepared!!!

your immediate issue is taking a 50 year old vehicle at current Interstate hwy speed limits that would not only test your manhood when evading an catastrophe but would conflict the originally intended, mechanical design of :
Pitman arm actuated steering
9" drum brakes
The f134's long rods that are not likened to excessive rpm's (over 3000 for extended periods of time and basically a tractor motor)
24 Volt system that usually cant be jumped by your AAA gold membership card:roll:

Not to dissuade you from your potential bliss, I would concur with the others and these tips to offer from experience with my Mjeep:

-Seat belts!!!!!
-Switch out the rear STOP and Black-out lights and get the lenses for a
Gamma Goat brake lights....
-Get a Turn signal wiring kit for 24volt ...typically found for M151 and M715's
-Selectable Locking Hubs-(FRONT)
-self explanatory
-Warn Overdrive hands down.
-keeps the revs low on highway and incredibly versatile when on the trails.
-Get a rebuilt or New from Hermtheoverdriveguy.com Period!! he stands behind
his work. You may find one for 350-600 $ on the net or ebay as used.
It may cost you another 500$ just to rebuild and ship, etc,etc
Not worth the risk and headache to buy used take off
-11" drum front Drum Brake swap - great improvement!!
check out the earlycj5.com for info. (lots of info)
-Single piece tie-rod conversion - simplifies the linkage steering behavior and
reduces if not eliminates steering back lash.
-LUBE < LUBE< LUBE!!

the above got me 60 mph on the flats at appx 2800.rpm well tuned young motor and drive train on 235/85-16 radials. (no lift kit or suspension manip) and some peace of mind at that speed.
I got to 71mph going downhill 15 deg grade by dropping the W/S w/ a healthy tailwindrofl

other mild bolt on considerations applied that ADD$$$$ time, skill, and patience:
Swap Carb > Weber 32 / 36 progressive carb (you'll need an electric fuel pump that runs on 24VDC or a regulator on your existing.
Machine Deck (mill) your head .060"
Re-curve cam
Synthetic Oil (Motor only)
Port /Polish match exhaust
Swap exhaust to 2" or 2-1/4"
K/N filter conversion

The above may or not provide your desired results.
All doable/reversible with minimal visual alteration.
hope this helps.

Personally, I'd leave her alone, M38A1's complete in a state such as yours are rare finds. though its your ride on your dime. have fun!!!![thumbzup]

Last edited:

quickfarms

I have a M38A1 that I can cruise the freeways at about 60 with no issues.

We had to go through the suspension and steering to deal with the shimmy at that spped.

The jeep will go faster but it is not fun.

I like to cruise at about 58 in the right lane.

The overdrive is the answer to increasing the speed without overreving the engine.

Contact Herm the overdrive guy.

Herm The Overdrive Guy

One very needed upgrade is gama goat lenses on the tail lights and add replace the passenger side lite with another driver side one so that you have two brake lights.

Good luck and enjoy

Deadguyllc

I want to get some good rubber floor mats for my M38a1, does anyone know what fits? Maybe CJ5 mats?
Also, if I install a PTO winch, but the extremely expensive Original 50s Ramsey one, does anyone know the limitations?
And why the recommendation that I install locking hubs? Every CJ I've had already had them. What does the M38A1 have?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks